Makeup & Skincare/Pimples

Question
I always pop my pimple if it looks like it's ready. I use my nails because I just can't do that needle thing! Is doing this bad to my skin? If so why and in what ways?

Answer
Dear Saylor,

While popping a pimple is best left to the pros (dermatologists) who use the right sterile tools to do so, let's face it, sometimes it can be tough to resist the temptation to squeeze the pus out of that bright red zit on your cheek, chin, or nose.

If you're going to do it, there's a proper way.  Here are some directions:

1. Don't poke too early. Wait until your pimple has a firm white head. That means the pus is close to the surface and ready to be drained.

2. Wash your hands thoroughly with warm water, soap, and a fingernail brush.

3. Sterilize a straight pin with a match or lighter. Let the pin cool, then wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. Swab the zit with alcohol and pour some on your fingers, too.

4. Dry your fingers and wrap them with a clean tissue.

5. Position your pin. Hold the pin parallel to the surface of your skin, and gently pierce the very tip of the zit's white center.

6. Using your fingers, or a cotton swab, softly squeeze the pimple. Press around (not on) the white tip of the zit. If the pus doesn't come out easily, the pimple isn't ready to be popped. Stop!

7. Apply more alcohol (it will sting) or a very small amount of bacitracin ointment to the now-deflated blemish.

Good luck, Saylor!

Best,
Linda Gearke
Strictly Personal ~ The Personal Care Marketing Experts

Makeup & Skincare

Linda Gearke