Makeup & Skincare/Clogged pores

Question
Hello Tara! I'm a 13 year old african American girl and was wondering how to unclog my pores. I have some what sensitive combination skin, and when ever I squeeze my nose white strips of gunk come out . I just started using african black soap about 2 weeks ago and I also have used for a while now coconut oil to moisturise and which hazel as a toner. My skin is mostly clear aside from a few white heads, some dark spots that are fading, a little bit of redness sometimes,and a few underground bumps that I don't know how to surface. I also wanted to know if there is anything you think I should I should add in to my skin are routine to make my skin any clearer/poreless.
Thank you!

Answer
Hello Malaysia. From what you've said, it seems to me that you definitely need an exfoliator. An exfoliator is a skin care product that removes dead skin cells from your skin's surface so that newer, more even-toned and brighter skin is revealed. Also, exfoliation can unclog pores so that all that "gunk", trapped oil and dead skin can be released. See Malaysia, if exfoliation is not part of our skin care routine, at least once to twice weekly, this can lead to clogged pores that result in acne bumps, large pores, dry, ashy skin, dark marks, fine wrinkles, etc.

Seeing that you have sensitive, combination skin with a few "undergrounders" and whiteheads, I recommend a 1 to 2% Salicylic acid gel, liquid or lotion. Salicylic acid is derived from White Willow Bark which is found in nature. SA is a skin care ingredient that does just that - exfoliates inside your pores and not only on the surface. This ingredient will get in and unclog your pores to penetrate and break down those whiteheads, and "underground bumps" and "gunk" you mentioned.

Btw, that "gunk" is usually oil mixed with dead skin cells that have hardened and form this white strip you speak of. You can go to your local drug store and find a 2% Salicylic acid lotion, gel or liquid toner. Go to the skin care section and ask the store clerk to help you find this type of product. Be sure to look on the back of the product label to see if the active ingredient is 1 or 2% Salicylic acid. And also, be sure to use the product according to it's instructions. You should be good to go from here. Please let me know how this works for you, if you decide to go this route. Below, I've included a link to a very good article on my website that explains how exfoliation can greatly improve one's skin and what it's all about. Enjoy and God bless!

Tara
http://www.naturallynubian.com/exfoliation-for-flawless-skin.html  

Makeup & Skincare

Tara Logan-Hearn