Makeup & Skincare/Acne Pimples, Tea Tree oil, Aloe Vera gel

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
  Do you know possibly why my face breaks out after I start my smoothie regimen?  When I say  break out, I mean reddish inflamed bumps on my cheeks more so.  And whiteheads on my chin. I don't usually get black heads. I am not allergic to any of the products, so I wonder is too much sugar, my body detoxing, or another ingredient? Here's what I've been blending: Coconut water, pineapple juice, banana, blueberries, organic kale, flax seed, and whey protein.

Thank you,
CJ

ANSWER: Hello there. Sometimes homemade skin care regimens that include fresh fruit can contain lots of natural sugar and sugar can sometimes cause skin irritation, resulting in reddish bumps, rashes and/or acne pimples. Also, fruits, such as the ones contained in the smoothie, can raise the pH level of your skin, thus causing skin problems. What I mean by this is, our skin's pH should be at a healthy range such as pH 4.5 to 5.5, which means slightly acidic. When we maintain a pH level at around this range, the acidity of our skin inhibits the growth of blemish-causing bacteria, which is what the whiteheads may be a result of. Bacteria love to exist in skin with a high alkaline (non-acidic) pH level (around 8-11). Now the red, inflamed bumps on the cheeks seems to be irritation. The whiteheads are filled with bacteria.

What I suggest for you is a very simple, effective and inexpensive recipe that has a good chance of fixing things for you no matter what's causing your skin to be upset.

Here are the ingredients:

1. Baking Soda - Balances skin's pH level and gently removes dead skin cells from surface of skin
2. Aloe Vera gel - Calms and soothes irritation while hydrating skin
3. Tea Tree oil - Kills blemish-causing bacteria, calms inflammation, reduces redness

Where to get ingredients:

Baking soda - Local drug store
Aloe Vera gel - Local drug store or grocery store
Tea Tree oil - Online, local drug or health food store (beauty aisle)

How to make:

Step 1 - Pour about 2 oz. baking soda into a small, clean container

Step 2 - Drizzle in enough Aloe Vera gel, Aloe Vera gel until the mixture becomes consistency of liquid paste.

Step 3 - Add about 20-30 drops Tea Tree oil. Thoroughly mix.

Step 4 - Apply to entire affected area of skin and massage in circular motions for about 3 minutes. Let sit for an additional 5 minutes. Rinse. Pat dry. Moisturize/hydrate affected area with several drops of the Aloe Vera gel. Do not rinse off Aloe. Allow Aloe to dry into the skin.

You may continue this regimen nightly or 3 to 4 times weekly before bed until desired results are seen. Listen to your skin and keep watch to see how often you should use this regimen, if at all. If you want, you may continue indefinitely if it works for you and it is inexpensive. Hope this helps. May God richly bless you and your skin.

Tara
http://www.naturallynubian.com/

QUESTION: I have a lot left over.  Can I save it?  If so, do I have to refrigerate it or can it be stored at room temperature?

ANSWER: Yes, CJ. You absolutely CAN save the mixture for an additional day or two in the fridge. The Tea Tree oil acts as a natural preservative to keep it from spoiling. Use it again tonight before bedtime. What's good about this, is you don't have to make this EVERY night, only every OTHER night, perhaps. CJ, you can ALSO make half this amount next time (just make HALF the recipe), if you prefer. Either way is fine. Sorry I forgot to mention this last time. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. God bless.

Tara
http://www.naturallynubian.com/

QUESTION: Just so you know, this concoction is working really well!  I just wish I didn't to throw it out every couple days, because, then I become inconsistent with it.  Also, it's really cold on the face after refridgerating it, lol!  Thanks for your help!

Answer
Hello CJ! I'm so glad to hear that! Thank you for giving me an update. Yeah, I know what you mean about having to make the recipe ever so often. You may not have to after all. You see, the Tea Tree oil SHOULD preserve the recipe for much longer than 2 days, as it is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Your recipe should ACTUALLY last more like close to a week before it starts to go bad. One tell-tale sign of the recipe going bad is the smell. If it does not smell like it did when you first made it, or the smell of the Tea Tree oil is very faint, then you may want to toss it. I know I said you may have to make it every OTHER day, but maybe I underestimated the longevity of this recipe, however, it SHOULD last about at least close to a week before you have to make more. As for the coldness, maybe you can try to take the recipe out of the fridge about an hour to half an hour before use - that should take some of the chill off. CJ, I hope this helps and I wish you much success in your quest for great skin! God bless you!

Tara
http://www.naturallynubian.com/

Makeup & Skincare

Tara Logan-Hearn