Makeup & Skincare/labels, listing

Hello, question? I blend 4 different oils as skin first aid formula.. 2 oils represents 97.5 percent of formula and are listed as ingredients.Do I have to list other 2? How do I keep the  formula private?

Dear Basilio~

It is a common misconception that ingredients which together constitute 1% or less of total formulations do not need to be listed, or can be listed as “proprietary blend.” But this is not accurate. Yes, you have to list complete ingredients according to FDA regulations. The number one reason, is that someone may be allergic to an ingredient in your formula and they need to be able to see the ingredient deck before using the product or you could have liability issues if they have a reaction to your product.

You may go through the patent process if you have devised a unique ingredient complex, however, your patent only protects your exclusive use of this complex. It does not excuse you from listing all the ingredients in your product on the label.

There is no way to keep an ingredient list private. There are many similar product formulas on the market.  Your key to success lies as much in how you market the product as in the uniqueness of a formula.  

If you would like help with effective marketing strategies, I can certainly assist you!

Linda Gearke
Strictly Personal, The Personal Care Marketing Experts  

Makeup & Skincare

Linda Gearke

I can answer questions regarding how to develop and market your own line of personal care products---skin care, bath and body, hair care, etc., I have experience in all phases of the product development process from concept to distribution.

20 years experience in marketing and developing over 600 beauty products and 13 years in business for myself helping entrepreneurs bring their personal care product idea to market.

National Cosmetology Association Sales & Marketing Executives Business Women's Network National Association of Women Business Owners Society of Cosmetic Chemists

University of Minnesota, School of Mass Communications & Journalism