Making Films & Videos/Pregnant bellies

Question
I'm writing a coming of age lesbian movie. At the end of the movie the protagonist is going into labor with her ex boyfriend's baby. I have the protagonist's (who's in the nude)partner helps her with her hospital gown. I would like to show the pregnant belly (the nudity will be tasteful), but I wouldn't have a clue to actually do this coming short of getting the actress knocked up. How do I show the belly without the harness? Do I have to CG it or something like that?
Thank you!

Answer
Hello,

This is a pretty easy problem to solve. They do this all of the time in movies.

You would have to have a double that is pregnant.  You would use your actress and get shots of her shoulders up and then shots of the double anywhere below her face and/or from behind where we wouldn't see the double's face (it would be hidden by her hair or at such an angle that you can't see her eyes).  I would suggest avoiding getting shots of your actresses real breasts up because they will probably not even remotely match the breasts of the double.  Even if they are close, people will notice. Just use everything above your actor's breasts only for her shots.

In the editing, you would use all of these shots as needed and put them together to create the illusion of your actor being pregnant.   It's called "movie magic" ! ;)

I hope this helps.

Making Films & Videos

Troy Smith