Making Films & Videos/What lighting for on-line video production

Dear Troy:
I am starting to make videos to promote my business for Google+ and YouTube.  I need some guidance about lighting.  I have a great LED system from Glamcore for lighting me.  That already works fabulously.  Now I need lighting to light the white or green screen backdrops I am using.  There are so many and I am only video-taping me from the waist up so I don't need a professional set up. I need easy to set up and break down.  My budget is up to $350.

Can you suggest specific brands/models?  

Thank you so much in advance for your time.  I too am an expert on this site (Business Etiquette) so I know how generous you are in answering my question.

All my best,
Cynthia Lett

Do you want to know a great lighting trick that is fairly the same as using expensive lights?  Go to the hardware store and buy "painter's lights" or work lights for about $25 - $50.  They use halogen lamps like other light kits and you can buy them to go on a stand.  From their you can fashion you own way to control and direct the light, and you may not even have to if they are used for background lights.  You can put $300 towards something else! has an example for you to see.  These have worked great for me for years.

Making Films & Videos

Troy Smith

I am a professional filmmaker (since 1995) and a professional film instructor (since 2000). I am the co-owner of Imminent Entertainment LLC. I have worked on several low-budget feature films as well as hundreds of other projects including TV commercials, concert videos, live sports for TV, sports highlights, broadcast news, faith productions, large multi-media multi-camera productions, weddings, educational, corporate, promotional, short films, documentaries and more. I have written a book called "The New Filmmaker's Adventure" that will be more widely distributed in the near future. My expertise is in writing, shooting and editing. I can answer questions on Final Cut Pro, lighting, sound recording, scriptwriting, storytelling, directing, producing, editing, multi-camera productions, shooting sports, picture to video, using DTE hard drives, using video cameras. I am NOT an expert on how to sell scripts or movies, how to finance them, how to distribute them or how to get an agent. See my WEB PAGES: and

I have been a professional filmmaker since 1995 and a film teacher since 2000. I am publishing a textbook for beginning filmmakers called "the New Filmmaker's Adventure". I have experience in the area of low-budget feature filmmaking, I am the co-owner of the production company called Imminent Entertainment, I have worked on hundreds of videos, TV shows, multi-camera events and low budget, professional productions, corporate and consumer videos, Final Cut Pro, scriptwriting, directing, videography and cinematography, sound, lighting, editing, and some producing.

Independent Feature Project

I wrote "The New Filmmaker's Adventure" book that I use in my classes and will be publishing it abroad soon

Western Michigan University - Magna cum Laude BS in film/video/TV Maine Media Workshops ('02-'07)- Film Editor Master, Directing Actors for the Camera, Independent Filmmaking, Acting for the Camera, Camera in Motion, The Directors Craft

Audience Choice Runner-Up award for Best Picture at the Muskegon Film Festival in 2009 for Producer/editor on "Coffee Shop Kings." Excellence in Education Teaching award. Winner of 12 grants.

Kellogg, Covance, Cytec, WWMT, Ralston, many, many more