Making Films & Videos/Charlie Chaplin - Greatest Comedian ?

Charlie Chaplin
Charlie Chaplin  
Dear Troy

Do you consider Charlie Chaplin as the greatest comedian of all times ?.

He was so natural and i feel every documentary, movie of Charlie was so beautiful to watch keeping the audiences laughing and laughing !!!.

Are there any other comedians which you can mention has reached to this acting level of Chaplin ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant,
I can't "answer" this question because it is all based on opinion and not fact.  So my opinion is that he was a great "physical" comedian.  That means that it is what he could do physically that was so funny and not what he said.  Personally, I enjoy Harold Lloyd, better, but there is no doubt that Chaplin was an exemplary comedian for his day.  Acting styles have changed so much over the last century that it would  really be hard to say who was better or worse. Bob Hope, Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Jerry Sienfeld were all great comedians that had lasting success, but they are also all very different in their style of comedy.  Chaplin, though can probably be considered the Father of film comedy.  

Making Films & Videos

Troy Smith

I am a professional filmmaker (since 1995) and a professional film instructor (since 2000). I am the co-owner of Imminent Entertainment LLC. I have worked on several low-budget feature films as well as hundreds of other projects including TV commercials, concert videos, live sports for TV, sports highlights, broadcast news, faith productions, large multi-media multi-camera productions, weddings, educational, corporate, promotional, short films, documentaries and more. I have written a book called "The New Filmmaker's Adventure" that will be more widely distributed in the near future. My expertise is in writing, shooting and editing. I can answer questions on Final Cut Pro, lighting, sound recording, scriptwriting, storytelling, directing, producing, editing, multi-camera productions, shooting sports, picture to video, using DTE hard drives, using video cameras. I am NOT an expert on how to sell scripts or movies, how to finance them, how to distribute them or how to get an agent. See my WEB PAGES: and

I have been a professional filmmaker since 1995 and a film teacher since 2000. I am publishing a textbook for beginning filmmakers called "the New Filmmaker's Adventure". I have experience in the area of low-budget feature filmmaking, I am the co-owner of the production company called Imminent Entertainment, I have worked on hundreds of videos, TV shows, multi-camera events and low budget, professional productions, corporate and consumer videos, Final Cut Pro, scriptwriting, directing, videography and cinematography, sound, lighting, editing, and some producing.

Independent Feature Project

I wrote "The New Filmmaker's Adventure" book that I use in my classes and will be publishing it abroad soon

Western Michigan University - Magna cum Laude BS in film/video/TV Maine Media Workshops ('02-'07)- Film Editor Master, Directing Actors for the Camera, Independent Filmmaking, Acting for the Camera, Camera in Motion, The Directors Craft

Audience Choice Runner-Up award for Best Picture at the Muskegon Film Festival in 2009 for Producer/editor on "Coffee Shop Kings." Excellence in Education Teaching award. Winner of 12 grants.

Kellogg, Covance, Cytec, WWMT, Ralston, many, many more