Making Films & Videos/Conversion Process from Black & White Movies to Color Motion Pictures.

Black & White Movie
Black & White Movie  

Color Movie
Color Movie  
Dear Alessandro

What is/are the Process/es for converting old black & white movies to Color motion picture ?.

There will be so many old movies which were black & white since there were no color video cameras at that time, now if the same old movies are to be watched as Color Picture motion picture/s how this is achieved ?.

For examples :

1. Schindler's List (1993) - Steven Spielberg
2. Charlie Chaplin's movies viz The Kid, The Great Dictator etc
3. Gregory Peck's - The Omen, Roman Holiday etc

As for some above examples, if those same black & white movies are to be converted to be watched as color film movies, what is the technology in photography, film editing etc ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I think it was Turner Network Television (TNT), or the sister company (TBS) that pioneered BW to color conversion in the late 70's early 80's. The process was for the most part panned back then. I think the colors were viewed as too pastel and cartoonish.

However, one assumes that 30 years later and the technology probably exists to do a better job in the BW to Color conversion.

The sixties were a fascinating time in Television. Some Television shows that had been shooting in BW suddenly switched over to Color. It's an entirely different event for me to see a show such as "Combat" suddenly switch to Color after starting out in BW, versus seeing an older BW movie that had no sequel in color. I first liked Combat in BW, but then when the color seasons started, I liked those better. BW purists may cringe, but color does transpose the background better, whereas in my opinion, BW backgrounds help set the mood better for the actors.

So there are reasons to stick with BW, and there are varying reasons to switch to color as well.

Making Films & Videos

Alessandro Machi

Hi, You can learn all about me at Learn about AlexLOGIC. Then you can bookmark me at AlexLOGIC

25 years of Film & Video Production & Editing Experience including low budget film and video production & quality control. I enjoy filming in Super-8 and also with broadcast quality video cameras.

Founded Action! Film and Video Production Club while in College.

Publications,,,,,,, http://www.robotsagainstchase, http://www.daily-protest,,,,

Four Year College Program majoring in RTVB studies emphasis on film, was one or two classes short of graduation.

Regional Emmy Winner, 8 Time Vision Award Winner, Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Internship Winner, numerous Film Festival Winner for several different Super-8 Films,

Sony Pictures, Prudential Jon Douglas, In Defense of Animals, Humane Society of the United States, Ivy Gullickson, check out to learn more.