Making Films & Videos/Shooting a feature film with a full HD point and shoot camera

I am just thinking to take a step ahead on shooting a feature film (90min) using a point and shoot camera that has an ability to shoot footage at 1920x1080 at 24fps. Though I have access to good quality SLRs like canon EOS 550D, I prefer point and shoot film making to demonstrate people, how simple a film can be made. But I am just worried about one thing. If I make a film with a point and shoot camera(1920x1080, 24fps) will the final preview be clear? I mean, if it's projected on a screen will the audience notice a considerable blur in the footage or so? can you please get back to me on this? The camera I am going to use is CANON IXUS 115 HS.

I am terribly sorry for the late response,  I did not know that I had a question for me!

To answer your question, I would be very cautious using such a consumer camera for a feature length film.  Features take so much time and effort (and often money) to make that you should really use the higher quality DSLR's.  

I would also not recommend that you shoot in 24p.  Shoot in at least 30p or 60p if possible.  24p DOES NOT make video look more like film - that was a sales gimmick - but it will make your film look jumpy and choppy (that's bad).  The lens quality on the point and shoot camera along with the depth of field will not get you nearly as good of an image as the Canon 550D (T3i?).  For short internet videos, I'm sure it would be fine, but if you are going to do a feature, I suggest you use quality cameras.  I hope this helps.

Making Films & Videos

Troy Smith

I am a professional filmmaker (since 1995) and a professional film instructor (since 2000). I am the co-owner of Imminent Entertainment LLC. I have worked on several low-budget feature films as well as hundreds of other projects including TV commercials, concert videos, live sports for TV, sports highlights, broadcast news, faith productions, large multi-media multi-camera productions, weddings, educational, corporate, promotional, short films, documentaries and more. I have written a book called "The New Filmmaker's Adventure" that will be more widely distributed in the near future. My expertise is in writing, shooting and editing. I can answer questions on Final Cut Pro, lighting, sound recording, scriptwriting, storytelling, directing, producing, editing, multi-camera productions, shooting sports, picture to video, using DTE hard drives, using video cameras. I am NOT an expert on how to sell scripts or movies, how to finance them, how to distribute them or how to get an agent. See my WEB PAGES: and

I have been a professional filmmaker since 1995 and a film teacher since 2000. I am publishing a textbook for beginning filmmakers called "the New Filmmaker's Adventure". I have experience in the area of low-budget feature filmmaking, I am the co-owner of the production company called Imminent Entertainment, I have worked on hundreds of videos, TV shows, multi-camera events and low budget, professional productions, corporate and consumer videos, Final Cut Pro, scriptwriting, directing, videography and cinematography, sound, lighting, editing, and some producing.

Independent Feature Project

I wrote "The New Filmmaker's Adventure" book that I use in my classes and will be publishing it abroad soon

Western Michigan University - Magna cum Laude BS in film/video/TV Maine Media Workshops ('02-'07)- Film Editor Master, Directing Actors for the Camera, Independent Filmmaking, Acting for the Camera, Camera in Motion, The Directors Craft

Audience Choice Runner-Up award for Best Picture at the Muskegon Film Festival in 2009 for Producer/editor on "Coffee Shop Kings." Excellence in Education Teaching award. Winner of 12 grants.

Kellogg, Covance, Cytec, WWMT, Ralston, many, many more