Making Films & Videos/Oscar Academy Awards.

Question
Dear Troy

http://www.oscars.org/‎
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards‎

The Oscar Awards are given to different categories viz Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress, Best Story etc

Among the final films selected for Oscar nominations, it would be difficult for the panel of judges to nominate and select the film

For example : Oscar Awards nominated to Film "Gandhi" in different categories viz Best Director, Best Film, Best Supporting role etc.

Can you tell us if you are one of the panel members and would like
to nominate a Oscar Award to a Film, how will you select among 3-5 films finalists ?. i.e. Criteria.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello Prashant,

The awards are nominated by and voted on by members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.  I am not a member.  It is simply democratic voting - whoever gets the most votes, wins the award.  Most categories are open to votes from everyone in the AMPAS, but some are restricted to only members who can verify that they have seen the specific movies nominated (like best short film and best short documentary).  Hope that this answers your question.  

Making Films & Videos

Troy Smith