Making Films & Videos/Film

I had a question about shooting a film with a negative filter on it.  To clarify, its when colors like black appear white, and colors like white appear black.  Has anyone ever shot a film like this before?  I'm not saying I'll use it but I am curious if it's something that's been experimented with besides it's use in some picture photography.  Thank you for your input.

Sorry for the late response.  Yes, a negative look would swap black for white, etc.  You wouldn't shoot anything with such a filter, but rather film it normally and use an editing software that has a "negative filter."  You will definitely need to keep your colors in mind when filming so that you get the look you want.  I do not know of any films that used this filter extensively, only in short bits and pieces (and those were only independent short films).  I can look pretty cool and would typically used to create a "creepy" feel.  Hope this helps!

Making Films & Videos

Troy Smith

I am a professional filmmaker (since 1995) and a professional film instructor (since 2000). I am the co-owner of Imminent Entertainment LLC. I have worked on several low-budget feature films as well as hundreds of other projects including TV commercials, concert videos, live sports for TV, sports highlights, broadcast news, faith productions, large multi-media multi-camera productions, weddings, educational, corporate, promotional, short films, documentaries and more. I have written a book called "The New Filmmaker's Adventure" that will be more widely distributed in the near future. My expertise is in writing, shooting and editing. I can answer questions on Final Cut Pro, lighting, sound recording, scriptwriting, storytelling, directing, producing, editing, multi-camera productions, shooting sports, picture to video, using DTE hard drives, using video cameras. I am NOT an expert on how to sell scripts or movies, how to finance them, how to distribute them or how to get an agent. See my WEB PAGES: and

I have been a professional filmmaker since 1995 and a film teacher since 2000. I am publishing a textbook for beginning filmmakers called "the New Filmmaker's Adventure". I have experience in the area of low-budget feature filmmaking, I am the co-owner of the production company called Imminent Entertainment, I have worked on hundreds of videos, TV shows, multi-camera events and low budget, professional productions, corporate and consumer videos, Final Cut Pro, scriptwriting, directing, videography and cinematography, sound, lighting, editing, and some producing.

Independent Feature Project

I wrote "The New Filmmaker's Adventure" book that I use in my classes and will be publishing it abroad soon

Western Michigan University - Magna cum Laude BS in film/video/TV Maine Media Workshops ('02-'07)- Film Editor Master, Directing Actors for the Camera, Independent Filmmaking, Acting for the Camera, Camera in Motion, The Directors Craft

Audience Choice Runner-Up award for Best Picture at the Muskegon Film Festival in 2009 for Producer/editor on "Coffee Shop Kings." Excellence in Education Teaching award. Winner of 12 grants.

Kellogg, Covance, Cytec, WWMT, Ralston, many, many more