Making Films & Videos/FOLLOW THE LEADER

Question
(This is not a spam or a homework question)
I was wondering would you please tell me: is there a difference in “instalments” and “sequels”?

If there is a difference, would you please explain to me in a easy way that I can understand: wot is it?

Answer
Hello,

The implication of an installment is that it is one of several in a predetermined series.  A sequel is the follow-up to a previous story.  Harry Potter movies are considered installments because there are so many in the series, and the series was predetermined.  A sequel usually happens when a movie is made that didn't necessarily intend to have other movies follow it, but became so successful that they decided to make another.  The Karate Kid series are sequels because they were made based on the success of the first few movies - there was NOT a predetermined number of Karate Kid movies that was going to be made when they they released the first one.  Marvel Movies, on the other hand, are quite planned out ahead of time and are considered installments because they already know that they are going to make more movies along the same storyline.  I hope this helps.

Making Films & Videos

Troy Smith