Making Films & Videos/Questions Answered by Expert Alessandro Machi

SubjectDate Asked
Charlie Chaplin Or Laurel & Hardy.6/4/2016
  Q: Which among the two will be your favourite nomination for number one comedy movies?. Thanks ...
  A: Charlie Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy would be two different kind of comedy types. Charlie Chaplin is ...
Directors whose films never get released12/26/2014
  Q: I was in a band that happened to get involved with a production company (if you would like the name ...
  A: In rereading your question I would suggest that any director can only make so many films before ...
Movie: Prizzi's Honour11/13/2014
  Q: Could you answer me a question or find out. I was a friend of Richard Condon (Prizzi Books and much ...
  A: Congratulations on being mentioned in a well known book series. I can't give you an exact answer but ...
Voice over4/10/2014
  Q: i belong to Pakistan.i am not expert in english language.i am an amature tv journalist.i make short ...
  A: I did some quick research on your software editing program and I am not convinced it is the best ...
Oscar Academy Awards.2/28/2014
  Q: http://www.oscars.org/‎ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards‎ The Oscar Awards ...
  A: To clarify, you are not asking if am a panel member who gets to nominate Oscar Award Winning films, ...
Video Shooting for Live Performances in Plays.10/17/2013
  Q: Is it Possible to Video shoot the complete Live Performances of Artists in Plays without the ...
  A: Yes it is possible to shoot a video without the audience knowing it is being shot. It is possibly an ...
Copyright Claims8/2/2013
  Q: I would like to ask how does one go about starting a youtube Gaming Channel. To be more specific I ...
  A: Although I cannot answer your well thought out questions, I can at least let you know that I plan on ...
Movies7/5/2013
  Q: Good day In making movies, I have heard some movies cost for than $50 million to make. I was ...
  A: There is an inverse knowledge/monetary formula when it comes to making a movie. The more one knows, ...
Conversion Process from Black & White Movies to Color Motion Pictures.3/11/2013
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-and-white http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_motion_picture_film ...
  A: I think it was Turner Network Television (TNT), or the sister company (TBS) that pioneered BW to ...
Charlie Chaplin - Greatest Comedian ?3/6/2013
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chaplin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79i84xYelZI ...
  A: There are many types of comedy that run the gamut from comedy to politics. I have not studied ...
Getting a distinct look in your film9/28/2012
  Q: I'm creating two short films in the coming weeks. I can't seem to find an exact answer to my ...
  A: The trailer I saw had very few outside day time shots. Low budget filmmakers can use the outdoors ...
Emergency9/23/2012
  Q: I want to know in this shot when man is walking through car is this call PAN LEFT shot Or ...
  A: That was a telephoto pan left tracking shot. Normally shots are not called telephoto pan left, ...
Auditorium v/s Amphitheater6/28/2012
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphitheatre http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditorium Amphitheater - ...
  A: Comparing an Auditorium vs Amphitheater The danger of an outdoor amphitheater is not being able to ...
Multicast Movies.5/26/2012
  Q: Why it becomes difficult to Judge in a Multicast Movie (A Film which has many characters) to rate ...
  A: It may come down to who got paid the most! Who gets paid the most may come down to which actor is ...
Attributes for Making Movies a Success.5/25/2012
  Q: This could be a elementary question but can you please share your experience with us ?. What are ...
  A: Probably depends most on what is the agenda of the studio or network promoting a movie or television ...
English Movies on Scientists.5/24/2012
  Q: Are English Movies made on Great Scientists like Sir Isaac Newton, Sir Albert Einstein,Sir Thomas ...
  A: One of my favorite movies is "What the Lord Made", about the research that went into open heart ...
English Movies on Shakespeare's Stories5/23/2012
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare http://shakespeare.mit.edu/ Are there English ...
  A: Probably all of Shakespeare's well known plays have been turned into movies. Sometimes only the ...
Films Produced with Multiple Language Titles / Sub Titles.3/21/2012
  Q: There are couple of queries from my side. We see some films being produced having multiple language ...
  A: I can give you some information but this is not an area that I am an expert in. There are internet ...
3D Films/Movies11/2/2011
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_film Queries regarding 3D Films Production. 1. Which type of ...
  A: Prashant, these are all great questions and require a precise level of expertise that I do not have. ...
video file size3/17/2011
  Q: A film festival suggests I send a high quality video file of 1280x720. However, I've already ...
  A: I've kind of taken a time out on learning all the newer formats and files and such because after a ...
editing programs3/10/2011
  Q: I'd like to buy a good, but affordable (under $200.00) editing program that can produce ...
  A: your question is beyond my scope of knowledge, however, I can still offer you some logical ...
Film-location/Villa1/30/2011
  Q: I want to rent out a large villa I own in Northern Italy. It's on the coast, right next to the ...
  A: since any info is appreciated I should be able to meet that minimum standard. http://www.mandy.com ...
Question on camera or film?9/24/2010
  Q: Could you tell me what kind of camera or film is used in Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream"? Or do you ...
  A: for some reason, I had difficulty finding out any information about your question via the internet. ...
Videography Business6/2/2010
  Q: First off, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Since 2007, I have been recording and ...
  A: You should start by working with someone else who is already in the business. Be honest with them ...
making documentary in Himalaya5/23/2010
  Q: I have been chosen to make a documentary in Himalaya. I have a technical question regarding the type ...
  A: I cannot give you a direct answer since I would be talking about something that I have never ...
film5/3/2010
  Q: what is considered a shot's mise-en-scene
  A: When you're done reading my answer you might want to google the phrase for additional explanations. ...
Directing Children4/1/2010
  Q: I would like to do a short movie that features two girls below with ages approximately between 5 and ...
  A: I think you have to go with the best talent, not who you want to work with. At least one parent or a ...
I need some good tips...3/30/2010
  Q: ok so i am totaly pationate about film making and have been doing it for years, but i'm still ...
  A: Final cut pro would be my recommendation. As for cameras, I would suggest editing other projects, ...
i need your help1/25/2010
  Q: am a student of one of the Nigeria university.i study business administration.i want to go into ...
  A: Your follow up question is a good one but I am not the best one to answer it because I learned by ...
film directing1/18/2010
  Q: can one really direct a film without knowledge about camera angles and how to use a vision mixer, if ...
  A: A very good way to learn how to learn, is to make an "electronic brochure" of your story. As you ...
VIDEO RESOLUTION1/16/2010
  Q: .I am David..18 years of age..Can we project a video of resolution 1600*1200 pixels on a screen like ...
  A: I really don't know. However, the best way is always going to be to do a test. Ask the theater how ...
cinematography12/19/2009
  Q: I work as camera in a tv station and I want to add up to my experience and study cinematography ...
  A: I would recommend you go to www.cinematography.com and register (it is free and easy to do) and ask ...
good affordable camera n editing software12/18/2009
  Q: I'm looking to shoot a few shorts that are professional enough in quality to enter into festivals as ...
  A: It is difficult to give a good short answer to this question because your question possibly raises ...
videos of basketball and lacrosse12/12/2009
  Q: I would like to buy a camcorder for shooting basketball and lacrosse games, and wonder if you could ...
  A: This is a tough time (2009) to purchase video equipment because many editing systems are not able to ...
tv12/2/2009
  Q:
  A: This is an excellent question James. There is no surefire way to do what you are asking, but there ...
movie10/18/2009
  Q: Was there a black & white Hari Spray movie made, before the one with Ricky Lake?
  A: I personally have not heard of a movie called Hari Spray, but there was a movie called Hair Spray ...
Filming10/15/2009
  Q: I'm a student at Walla Walla University and I have a big event coming up in January that involves a ...
  A: One of my first video jobs ever was a round table discussion. I've also seen this type of ...
Film/Video Career10/10/2009
  Q: So I'm fresh out of tech college with an AAS degree in video production living in MN. I have worked ...
  A: One way to get camera work may be to be useful in the editing room. I believe most smaller video ...
Mini DV10/9/2009
  Q: I'm trying to recover the first 40 of 64 on a mini dv tape. When the battery was changed at 40min. ...
  A: Prior to connecting the camera to your computer, rewind your camera tape all way to the beginning of ...
Video Graphy9/7/2009
  Q: As a career i want to do a course or degree in video graphy or video shoots i have no idea what to ...
  A: I cannot cover your question in its entirety as it could take several chapters to do so. However, ...
Making a film/tvshow8/15/2009
  Q: I have an idea for a TV show how do I start a process to try and get it on TV?
  A: There is no one way to attempt to get a television show on the air. Most people's biggest concern ...
copyrighting a script8/11/2009
  Q: I want to enter some online film contests, and all of them stipulate how you have to prove that you ...
  A: I have heard of mailing a script to yourself as being one method, but in my opinion it should be ...
Problem with file type8/7/2009
  Q: I was overseas a while ago and took a lot of video with an Analog video recorder. I wish to compile ...
  A: It is always better to transfer analog video into a DV (digital video) codec, versus a DVD, when you ...
movie music7/10/2009
  Q: I understand the concept of more bang for the buck with the cost of music or trade off for playing ...
  A: I have lived a specific credo in regards to music in films. The viewer should not have to use a ...
Using a song for a film7/6/2009
  Q: I just started filming an independent short-film. I want to send that film to contests at different ...
  A: Years ago, film festivals were less vigilant about contestants use of copyrighted work since the ...
Beginner video question6/23/2009
  Q: I live in Las Vegas and I just bought my first miniDV camcorder. I'm also buying a bigger computer ...
  A: I could use help with this answer. I generally stay away from material I haven't had created for my ...
Linear Editing Equipment6/22/2009
  Q: i have currently been given a whole linear editing hardware package which includes... videotech ...
  A: I still run a completely analog studio. I can only give you a cursory answer as to how to set up ...
background music6/7/2009
  Q: I have no idea to whom I should address this but here is my complaint: About all movies have ...
  A: You are probably right Charlotte. Including "wall to wall" music can sometimes make a scene feel ...
Career in entertainment4/18/2009
  Q: I'll try and keep this quick. I actually intend to go into the videogame industry but could not ...
  A: I think of myself in the same way. I'm an ideas person but some people may perceive that as wanting ...
Movie trailer3/23/2009
  Q: what is the name of the job of people who make movie trailers? Thanks.
  A: The people that make movie trailers end up having the same type of job classifications as are found ...
technical vocabulary in film1/19/2009
  Q: is there a word for the phenomenon of the bubbling and melting at the end of the film? thank ...
  A: Usually bubbling and melting, when it happens, would happen where a splice has previously been made ...
Transferring BetacamSP to Digital1/5/2009
  Q: I have hundreds of Betacam SP tapes and 3/4" SP tapes that I need to transfer to digital at the best ...
  A: YC quality is actually a fine method, what matters most is the way you transcode the betacam sp ...
shooting12/17/2008
  Q: It would be highly appreciated if you can help me with this question about shooting pictures or ...
  A: I'll just give you a simple, untechnical answer because I tend to be less technical and more ...
Time coding pre-recorded Betacam tapes12/4/2008
  Q: I am working for a heritage institution that has a bunch of oral histories on betacam tapes. In ...
  A: As far as I know, all betacam tapes have time-code. If you want to send me a tape I can confirm this ...
Professional Effects with an HG1011/24/2008
  Q: I have a Canon HG10, which I love, but I really want to do better looking things involving depth of ...
  A: I have heard good things about the 35mm adapter. Before you buy it, you may want to rent it first, ...
INQUIRY11/22/2008
  Q: I had found a song talking about my city & how does it is pretty , so I thought that to make a ...
  A: I always recommend working on someone else's video project before doing your own. Try to be helpful ...
Release11/19/2008
  Q: I have just finished a movie which I believe is very well done and deserves a chance to be seen by a ...
  A: Where you send your movie will be dependent on the topic. If it is a documentary, then the topic ...
Travel videography10/22/2008
  Q: I am a management lecturer but having a high level of interest in travel and making travel videos. I ...
  A: The basic structure of travelogue videos is the voice over. In theory if your camera can record good ...
How do i get in touch with tv producers8/14/2008
  Q: Hi my name id Deeran and i was wondering how do i get in touch with a disney channel producers ...
  A: It is difficult to try and "pitch" an idea to a network or studio because they are very busy, ...
contracts8/6/2008
  Q: Typically I use a release form for talent if I shoot a documentary and in other video productions i ...
  A: These are all great questions, Joe. Generally, I believe that if the person's name is visible on ...
Panasonic HD 5000 Digital Movie Camera7/31/2008
  Q: Can you tell me anything about this camera - like is the storage onboard the camera or will I need a ...
  A: I may have answered this type of question before so pardon me if this is a briefer version. Solid ...
Mini DV7/28/2008
  Q: Which camcorders give the best picture quality, mini DV or DVD ??
  A: Mini DV is probably better because the image has less compression than DVD which usually makes it ...
permits7/19/2008
  Q: I know I need to obtain a permit to shoot my film but where do I go for such a permit? I want to ...
  A: Los Angeles has a permits office. Also, there are permit specialists that handle all of your permit ...
i have a Question7/6/2008
  Q: i'll like to know what is the difference between props an makeup Items in Film making and their ...
  A: Props are "visuals" that help tell the story of the move or the plight the character is going ...
Adobe Encore6/23/2008
  Q: Hey there. I'm editing on Premiere CS3 and I'm trying to export my final edited video to Encore DVD ...
  A: I'm going to give you an unofficial answer as I have never tried what you are trying to do. You ...
Starting my own business5/24/2008
  Q: Starting my own Cinematography business has been the most difficult thing I've ever wanted to do. ...
  A: I would consider approaching the existing two companies and work for them for at least one year or ...
Sony TRV80 Bluetooth to Apple Mac5/11/2008
  Q: My Apple Mac recognizes the Sony TRV80 but will not connect via Bluetooth. It looks like the Sony ...
  A: Are you getting a "passcode" message? If you can upload your video via an actual wire connector I ...
MINIDV5/6/2008
  Q: Hey ..i want to shoot a feature like an 80 min film. However i want to use a mini dv as i can not ...
  A: It is my belief that what causes most low budget produtions to fail are poor audio and poor script. ...
Camera problems...4/25/2008
  Q: I am trying to start a indie. Film making career, and I think I have everything straight, except the ...
  A: Flash card technology is probably the ideal format besides film for shooting on. However, the cards ...
DVD-Rw versus DVD R+ discs4/21/2008
  Q: This question may well be way too simple for you to answer but I find that very few people out there ...
  A: As a general rule, properly made video equipment is supposed to read more recording formats than it ...
Video Editing Software3/11/2008
  Q: I saw several ads for computers and cellphones and I found it very interesting and was wondering ...
  A: I did some research and found that once you invest in a non linear editing system, then you ...
video camera for windows movie maker3/3/2008
  Q: I have recently gotten into making and editing short movies using Windows Movie Maker. I currently ...
  A: welcome to the age of Digital Overindulgence. It shouldn't be complicated to select a camcorder ...
Making a film2/26/2008
  Q: I was wondering if you could recommend any good programs/software (Hopefully downloadable on the ...
  A: It sounds like you want to make a montage from a specific tv show. That can be fun, creative work. ...
Travel Documentary2/26/2008
  Q: I'm planning to document my trip through the Canadian Rockies this summer. Will that require film ...
  A: When you are in a public park it makes sense to ask the park officials ahead of time what their ...
letter for getting funding1/5/2008
  Q: A small production company is making my novel into a movie and I need to put together a letter to ...
  A: I'll be perfectly honest with you, I found a discombobulation in your question. If a production ...
Breaking into editing12/29/2007
  Q: I have 3 MA's in English (2) and French(1) literature and an extensive knowledge of editing software ...
  A: if you have incorporated your educational accomplishments into a job see if you can use your job as ...
video edit 10112/26/2007
  Q: I cant seem to get past the first step in making a movie from my video edit. I have Nero9, Roxio9 ...
  A: the philosophical idea behind a DVD is that it is a completed work that has in essence been ...
File size12/14/2007
  Q: Perhaps you can explain to me how to reduce the file size of my video I took with my digital camera. ...
  A: MPEG-4 is a pretty popular setting, along with a newer one called H-264 (MPEG-4, part 10). Once you ...
Need to submit a portion of master tape in DVD or Mini-DV formats12/6/2007
  Q: I need to submit a video to the media (for TV) and the formats that they are requesting are "DVD or ...
  A: I wish you could just find two camcorders, or one camcorder and a dv record machine and make a ...
Camcorder12/5/2007
  Q: Regarding the question I asked about buying a new camcorder, I do have a Canon Elura 100. I bought ...
  A: I really recommend finding a video club or video editing club or even a users group for a video ...
Equipment Essentials11/27/2007
  Q: I am shooting a short film and am curious as to what is the absolute necessary equipment that I will ...
  A: Your question reminds me to ask you a couple of questions. Decide who you are going to be in this ...
Super 8 Film editing11/21/2007
  Q: As a "newbie" to Super 8 film & its use, how do I edit when most of my editing equipement is geared ...
  A: Some people like the feel of editing reversal super-8 film and using a movie viewer, film projector ...
music for movie11/8/2007
  Q: I am searching for Tchaikovsky's "Waltz From Serenade for Strings" and J.S. Bach's "Cantata No. 161: ...
  A: Besides trying Google, and http://www.pdinfo.com/list.htm, lets let anyone else who reads this topic ...
what i need to make a feature film11/6/2007
  Q: Here it goes. I'm 18 and have made a script that i believe will work and already have the casting ...
  A: It sounds like you have already zipped ahead of the actual process of shooting your video and are ...
Film censorship10/29/2007
  Q: Does Film Censorship reflect or impose standards? im trying to position myself on a public debate. ...
  A: this is such a short but great question that even though I can not give a short concise answer I ...
Camera for 'the office'10/21/2007
  Q: I've been wondering of what camera that has been used for TV series 'the office'? Thanks
  A: The office is shot in HD-CAM. I think it's shot with a Cine Alta camera. Many popular shows are ...
Video tape conversion to DVD10/4/2007
  Q: This camcorder has got the option to shoot the video in an 16:9 format for the wide screen. When you ...
  A: It is very important to not alter pixel sizes of the camera master when making DVD's. If you start ...
Camcorder running to fast10/3/2007
  Q: I have been searching for someone like you to help me. I have Hi8 video cassettes that I filmed on a ...
  A: It sounds to me like you are a PAL personality living in an NTSC world and you are being punished ...
Copying Mini-DV to another Mini-DV10/2/2007
  Q: Is it possible to make a copy of a Mini-DV using two Mini-DV camcorders? Will the quality be poor? ...
  A: if your two camcorders both have a firewire connection port you should be able to make a firewire ...
Need to digatizie Beta cam Sp tapes10/2/2007
  Q: Can I go straight from a beta Cam Sp deck to a hard drive? I'm told I need some kind of converter ...
  A: Plextor makes a device that will transcode the S-Video output port of a betacam sp machine into a ...
HELLO9/3/2007
  Q: WHAT IS AN INDEPENDENT FILM MAKER
  A: Independent filmmaking has grown rapidly in the past 10-15 years. In the past independent ...
vhs to dvd8/10/2007
  Q: can't seem to find a suitable category so figured i'd give you a shot. i would like to convert a ...
  A: This is a speciality of mine. I can archive from any analog video format at a surprisingly high ...
transfer video project from Pinnacle Studio to Mac8/3/2007
  Q: I have recently purchased an Apple Imac (Intel), and Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. From earlier I have 40 ...
  A: I have limited experience in this area however there is one technique that may work, although it has ...
US film job market8/2/2007
  Q: I'm a non fiction film maker from India, just got settled in California after my marriage, problem ...
  A: I am by no means an expert in the area of your question but I also consider it a challenge to try ...
equipment7/26/2007
  Q: I am making a film and I would like to have video quality that is comparable to "hollywood" films. I ...
  A: this question does not have only one right answer so whatever I write will inevitably include my ...
MiniDV Master7/25/2007
  Q: How can I transfer my finished, edited movie to a MiniDV master tape? Can I use the same Panasonic ...
  A: you can use the same tape, however I would make that the back up master and not the actual master ...
Film Production7/18/2007
  Q: I have a question about film production, not neccesarily large format but production in general. ...
  A: this is an all time great question. Your question also applies to the world of television ...
master tape7/13/2007
  Q: A festival asks to submit master tapes on digital beta or beta SP in either PAL or NTSC formats. ...
  A: Betacam Sp and Digital Betacam are the two most utilitarian video formats ever made. If they have a ...
video static7/7/2007
  Q: Horizontal lines of static appear on my video either when the subject moves or the camera moves. Why ...
  A: I have also seen vertical lines of static that appear on some non linear editing programs but I ...
Video Editing Software7/2/2007
  Q: I am going to be making a low budget independant film and I wanted to know if Windows Movie Maker ...
  A: I like macintosh. If you purchase final cut pro you really get a lot for your money. However, to ...
Fiscal Sponsorship Funding6/15/2007
  Q: By asking for tax-deductible donations from various foundations with fiscal sponsorship from an arts ...
  A: this is a very broad question and also somewhat out of my range of experience, and I didn't quite ...
How to Video Self?5/27/2007
  Q: I lead laughter yoga sessions which involve moving around and laughing with others. I wish to use a ...
  A: Well, they say laughter is the best medicine so if you combine it with yoga you just might have a ...
copyrights and music5/4/2007
  Q: Is classical music copyrighted? I'm looking for non copyrighted music for a short film project. Any ...
  A: This is another great question! I did some additional research and the same old problems seem to ...
Editing Software4/20/2007
  Q: I am having trouble decided between two schools for video production. The only big difference ...
  A: Avid and Final Cut Pro are both popular in the film and video industry. For every person you find ...
Fitting a music score into the film...4/15/2007
  Q: I've always wondered how a film is put together.. what comes first the scenes or the score? i.e. ...
  A: Generally the music is added after the film is edited, however, many directors have already been ...
Video production4/10/2007
  Q: My wife and I want to create a series of "cooking shows" for distribution to our family and friends ...
  A: I had a previous client that had mentioned they were making family cooking videos. I thought you ...
Looking for a job4/10/2007
  Q: I am 31 year old female, and I am looking for an opportunity to join a team that is making ...
  A: Wow, another "interested in making a huge change in my life" type of question, I find these types of ...
Background3/30/2007
  Q: Mr. Machi: The eternal, never ending distraction of the background MUSIC that is present during ...
  A: I agree with you Jim. Background Music should NEVER obscure dialogue unless it somehow is adding to ...
analog editing3/6/2007
  Q: Is it possible to edit video tape from an old analog film camera on digital video editing software? ...
  A: Your question..."Is it possible to edit video tape from an old analog film camera"...is not a ...
Incident Vs Reflective3/2/2007
  Q: I'm just curious what meter you perfer for outdoor filmaking (of landscapes and such) I know my ...
  A: When Hollywood lights a scene for a movie, it's usually a meticulous process requiring the placement ...
Videotaping2/26/2007
  Q: My son plays HS lacrosse, and a college recruiter suggested we film some games, and forward video ...
  A: This is a great question but it could take a book to go over all the strategies, so consider this ...
videos to 3d2/16/2007
  Q: I have videos recorded from my camcorder and would like to know if theres a way to turn them into ...
  A: I created a 3d effect from still images for a Christian Stand up Comedy video called "The Spirit of ...
Short film woes10/29/2006
  Q: I'm involved in a short film at the moment, and I'm working under a novice director. I'm a fresh ...
  A: I just recently came on board to "All Experts" and just now discovered there is a question pool. ...

All Questions in This Category

Making Films & Videos

Alessandro Machi

Top Expert on this page