Male Masturbation/Masturbation

Question
QUESTION: I'm a 60 year old married male for 30+ years.  I have been masturbating since the age of 18.  From the age of 18-55 I estimate that I was masturbating 7-10 times a week.  How I slowed down to about 5-7 times a week and still enjoy stroking my man hood.  Is it normal to keep on stroking?

ANSWER: Yes, it is normal and a sign of good sexual health that you are able to keep going and going.  Your frequency is still quite high for a man your age.  The average male drops below 7 times a week at the age of 24 but stays close to it until age 40, when the frequency declines further.  

Most males start masturbating at age 12-13.  Perhaps you were making up for lost time for not starting until age 18.

QUESTION: Thanks for getting back so quickly.  Maybe I'm making up for lost time.  Just a thought, in the early 70's do you think male started to masturbate at the age of 12? We had pictures i.e. playboy etc.. but we had no internet to watch porn.  What do you think?

Answer
Yes, I do.  Sex research being done at least as early as the 1930s found masturbation being universal for males starting at puberty.  Males never had to have visual aids to get the idea to masturbate.  For most, a steady flow of hormones was all it took.  Of course, some males were content with wet dreams and didn't start masturbating right away.  But once they did, it generally became a daily habit within a few weeks.

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.