Male Masturbation/Masturbation

Is it a problem if I don't have an erection when I start to masturbate?

It is not necessary to have an erection to masturbate, even to the point of orgasm.  However, you're teaching your body a bad lesson if you masturbate to orgasm without an erection.  You want the first step in sexual activity to be the erection, and you want to keep a satisfactory erection throughout.  You might be able to get an erection while you're masturbating, or you might not, in which case you're teaching your body to respond without an erection.  That won't help you when you're trying to have sex with a partner.  It's very difficult to penetrate a partner without an erection.  

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.