Male Masturbation/masturbating and pictures

Question
QUESTION: Does it matter whether the pictures a guy uses are video or still?  Have you done any research about that?  I like both but understand why some guys like video so much.

ANSWER: I asked a survey question about that years ago to a small group of men.  Out of 32 men who used visual aids to masturbate, 44 percent preferred videos, 6 percent preferred still pictures, and half liked videos and stills equally well.  Videos, of course, reveal more action (and sound), but many men like still pictures because it lets them use their own imagination more instead of relying on what is in the video.

QUESTION: I really like videos, but I am intrigued by your idea that still pictures let "them use their own imagination more instead of relying on what is in the video".  Can you elaborate more on what you mean by that?

ANSWER: All I mean is that when you watch a video, you are pretty much stuck with the director's idea of what happened.  It is hard to add your own interpretation to the action when everything that happened is right there in front of you.  On the other hand, with a still picture, there is a lot that you can imagine is going on that isn't answered in the picture, isn't handed to you in glorious technicolor at 30 frames per second.

It's the same difference between a blank sheet of paper and a coloring book page.  With a blank sheet of paper, you can make it into anything you want.  With a coloring book page, all you really get to choose are the colors.

QUESTION: OK, I understand that, but I think the reason I and so many others like videos more than pictures is that it takes all the work out of it for us.  I mean, you can just watch a video and BOOM!  Everything just happens.  It's really easy.  What harm can come from that?

Answer
The harm is that you're not building your imagination.  Imagination is a skill that is most useful to you in managing your arousal.  What you describe as easy is simply not having to work at maintaining arousal.  It's not the case that watching videos will leave you damaged, but you are in very good shape if you can masturbate to orgasm at least twice a month without using any visual aids at all.  And it is also good if you can satisfy yourself with only a photograph and not needing the action and sound of a video.  

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.