Male Masturbation/masturbating as a sport

Question
QUESTION: I really enjoy masturbating.  Is there anything wrong with thinking of it as a sport or an exercise regimen?  I think it is good exercise for my penis.

ANSWER: I think you're mostly right.  It is good to enjoy masturbating.  It is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary for male sexual health.  It is good exercise for your penis, prostate gland, testes, seminal vesicles... basically all of your private parts.  It is good for your penis to erect daily and for you to go through ejaculation.  It keeps all your parts in good shape.  But I really can't think of it as a sport.  That is all you said that I don't agree with.

QUESTION: A hobby then?  Why can't you think of it as a sport?  It is certainly better for you than boxing, and boxing is a sport.

ANSWER: Dictionary.com defines a sport as, "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."  I just don't see masturbating as an athletic activity, even though it is good for athletes and other males.  The same site defines a hobby as, "an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation."  I think that is all true but masturbating is no more a hobby than soaking in the bathtub is.

QUESTION: Well, masturbating is very athletic.  It gets my heart racing.  I can really feel it.  And some guys do it competitively.  Not me, no, never, but I used to know guys who had contests about it.  It was a sport for them.

Answer
If you want to call it a sport, then call it a sport.  I just think of it as a normal bodily function.  Males who masturbate competitively are not building useful sexual skills.  They're probably teaching themselves to be premature ejaculators.  That's not something you want.  I think it's a sexual skill best practiced privately.

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.