You are here:

Male Masturbation/Pictures for masturbating

Advertisement


Question
QUESTION: I am 15 and was wondering how many guys my age use porn.

ANSWER: According to a survey of over 8000 males by the web site HealthyStrokes.com in the first half of 2007, which included 778 current 15-year-old males, 30 percent of males use pictures almost all the time when they masturbate, and another 32 percent use them most of the time, a total of 62 percent who use them most of the time.  25 percent use visual aids some of the time, leaving only 13 percent who rarely or never use pictures when they masturbate.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you for that.  But I'm not sure from your answer if those percentages refer to all males or to 15 year old males.  Would you please clarify for me?

ANSWER: I apologize for not making that clear, and I thank you for your careful reading of my answer.  The percentages in my answer refer to 15 year old males, but strange as it seems, the percentages are not much different for all males in the survey as opposed to only 15 year olds.  

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: So what difference does porn make?  Are the guys who use it happier or something than the guys who don't?  What you're saying is most guys, even guys my age, use porn.  But since all of us masturbate, then what difference does it make?  What's the value in using porn?

Answer
You ask a challenging question.  In that same survey that asked whether males use pictures to help them masturbate, males were asked to rate how much pleasure they got from masturbating on a 1 to 10 scale, where 10 is high.  Males who never use pictures rate masturbation an average of 7.5, whereas males who use pictures at least occasionally/rarely rate it 7.9.  This difference is significant at the 99.9 percent level.  Stated more simply, there is a 99.9 percent chance that using pictures is making a difference in rating for masturbation and only a 0.1 percent chance that this is due to something random.  

From that I would conclude that males who use pictures enjoy masturbating more.  I do not have evidence to conclude that they enjoy masturbation more because they use pictures or if they use
pictures because they enjoy masturbating more.

Males who use pictures also masturbate more, an average of 6.7 times per week, as opposed to 5 times a week for males who don't use pictures.  This is statistically significant at the 99.99
level, meaning there is only 0.01 percent chance of randomness.

So I think there is some kind of value in using pictures, even if it only goes along with enjoying masturbating and doing it often and not in causing it.

Male Masturbation

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Doug Adams, Ph.D.

Expertise

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

Experience

I am the author of the web site HealthyStrokes.com and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

Education/Credentials
I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.