Male Masturbation/Doesn't masturbating cause premature ejaculation?...

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I understand how regular masturbation is healthy  and normal, but ive read other articles suggesting regular masturbation could cause premature ejaculation ie your body gets used to masturbating so when you're with a partner it can cause ones penis to become sensitive?. Whats your opinion on this?

Also to save contacting you twice, after ive ejaculated I lose interest in women/sex for between a few hours to a few days. Is it just me or is it normal for males? Is it the refractory period?. But why do we lose interest?. What causes this?

Thanks for your time in advance its greatly appreciated.

Martin.

ANSWER: No.  Masturbation does not cause premature ejaculation.  Most males should expect intercourse to take at least 50 percent longer than masturbating takes them.  If a male is experiencing instant ejaculation when penetrating a female, then he has premature ejaculation, but masturbation absolutely did not cause that problem.

In fact, one of the cures recommended for PE is for a male to masturbate to orgasm a few hours before attempting intercourse.

The refractory period after ejaculation is anywhere from 15 minutes for a very young male to a few hours for a male over 50.  You should not completely lose interest in sex/women for days.

Feel free to ask me more questions!

QUESTION: Fair point to the last pararagraph but what causes us to lose interest after ejaculation? I know about the refractory period just wanna know "why" ? Thanks for the speed to your replies excellent service, cant thank you enough. Martin

Answer
There are various theories about why there is a refractory period.  If the whole body is about seeking sex, then once sex has been accomplished, there should naturally be less interest in it.  Just like we don't feel like food once we're finished eating.  Another is that the male feels uninterested in sex and gets very tired right after ejaculation to encourage males to stay with their female partners.

You should not lose interest in sex/women completely; just be unable to re-erect for a period after ejaculation.  Then after that, you should be able to get erect again when you want.

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.