Male Masturbation/masturbation within long term relationships

Hi there,
How much masturbation is too much? Is 2-3 times per day ok?

Also, I am about to move in with my girlfriend. What is the deal when it comes to masturbating within a long term relationship? Obviously, we'll be sharing a bed and having more sex than we ever have before, so may not feel such a desire to masturbate. However, when I work away for instance or if I'm home alone, I may want to pleasure myself. Is this acceptable in a long term relationship and is it any different when it comes to marriage?

Some people who are actively having sex with a partner don't masturbate at all, or only infrequently.  Some masturbate on the days they don't have sex with their partner.  2-3 times a day is a very high frequency.  If you're having sex 3-4 times a week, then you'll probably only want to masturbate once or twice a week, and maybe not even that much.

Yes, it is OK to masturbate if you're separated from your lover.

Feel free to ask me more questions!

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.