Male Masturbation/My son masturbates

Question
My son is 13 and is masturbating. I know that he does view online movies and photos, so I am just wondering if he is too young to be doing this? Not so much the movies, because I assume most kids do do this, but is 13 too young to be masturbating .... or is that normal?

Thank you

Answer
Most males are masturbating by his age.  In fact, almost half of males are already masturbating by their 13th birthdays.  Masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary for male sexual health.  You should not discourage your son from masturbating, and if anything, you should tell him what I just said about it being normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary for male sexual health.  However, it is within your purview as a parent to control what kind of porn, if any, he uses.  It might be an idea to get him a couple of issues of Playboy (tame nude pictures) in exchange for his promising not to visit porn sites online.

There are additional ideas at http://www.healthystrokes.com/parents.html

Feel free to ask me more questions!

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.