Male Masturbation/Losing erection

I am a 20 y.o male.

Yesterday, when I was masturbating, I was very horny, I had a rock hard erection and a great fantasy in my mind. However, just when I could feel the cum starting to come to the surface, and I could feel the orgasm coming close, my erection started to go and my dick went flat.

This often happens that I can't maintain a full erection when pleasuring myself.

Is it normal? What can I do to maintain a better, stronger erection?

ANSWER: You don't need an erection to masturbate.  You can keep enjoying yourself even if you lose part of your erection.  I suspect if you keep on instead of stopping, you will be training yourself to respond and the erection problem will not persist.  

Feel free to ask me more questions!

QUESTION: Yes, but if i carry on masturbating without an erection, will i be training my penis to do it's sexual job without being erect. That could mean that when it comes to intercourse, i may go flat before we're done.

It is better if you're erect than not, for sure.  Is this an ongoing problem or something that's happened only a few times?  If it's a continuing problem, then you might see your doctor, who could order some hormonal tests and other blood work to see if you have a medical condition.

Using visual aids often helps males keep their erections longer.

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.