Male Masturbation/Lubrication

QUESTION: I am 21 years old and I have been jacking off since I was about 11 and I love it. Since then, I have only jacked off dry, with lotion, not frequently but sometimes with BabyOil and equally like dry, with Vaseline. However now that I am older, I want to receive a sensation with another kind of lubricant. Today I tried to do some research on some good jerk off lubes. Many of the reviews failed to mention jacking off or male masturbation (sorry?). What are some lubes that you would recommend that will give me a mind blowing sensation, easy to clean, does not need to reapply often during a jack off session and not too greasy like like Vaseline. I was thinking of using BabyOil gel. I'm assuming that it is different from the liquid. Is let less greasy and good for jacking off. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer all my questions. Thanks

ANSWER: I think you would enjoy a water-based lube like Astroglide or K-Y.  Both of these come in either gel or liquid formulas.  They both also have store brands at the major retailers like Target and Walgreens.  Water-based lubes might need to be reapplied during a session depending on how long you take.  They are all easy to clean up, while oil-based lubes are not.  You can learn more at

QUESTION: Great! Thanks, I can wait to give it a try. How many times do you think I would have to reapply the lube during a 10, 15, 20-30 minute session?

ANSWER: Probably once every 10 minutes is typical.  You might not need to at first since a first-time lube user would probably use too much.  I definitely think you would like lubricated masturbation better than dry.  Why not get to the store tonight while they're still open?  You'll be glad you did.

QUESTION: I just wanted to say thanks so much for the suggestions. I purchased some Astroglide yesterday after class and I went right home to use it. I must say the experience was great. I only had to reapply it one after about 10 minutes. My cum shots were huge. Only things was that I came sooner than I thought I would. I guess it was the excitement of using something different. Thanks and I can't wait to have another session today and tonight.

Always like to hear about a satisfied reader!  It might take less time than usual while you're getting used to the Astroglide.  When you're ready, try some of the other brands too and see what difference they make.  They're all slightly different.  Practice makes perfect in lube as in other things.

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.