Male Masturbation/Lubrication

QUESTION: Hi. I wrote you several time earlier this week about different lubrications for jacking and you suggested Astroglide. I've been using it these past few days and I am having the time of my life, but I would like to know what others are there. I was planning on picking up some today. I more want to know te difference in water-based lubes and silicone? What are the pros and cons of each?

ANSWER: You can learn more about lubes at

Basically, silicone lubes last longer than water-based, but they cost more.  If you want to try a silicone-based lube but don't want to spend three times what you paid for water-based, go to an adult toy store.  Usually they sell sample-sized tubes of silicone lube for a couple of dollars or less.  

Silicone lubes are kind of a specialty item (like caviar) while every man likes water-based lubes (like ice cream).

QUESTION: What's the clean up like on silicone based lubes? And are they more oily than water based?

Silicone lubes are not oily at all.  The clean up is very similar to water based lubes.  But you might need to use a wet cloth.  They do not wipe up as cleanly as water-based lubes.  I think some guys even leave silicone lubes on.  It depends on what they're planning to do later.  

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.