Male Masturbation/masturbation habits

Question
Hello Doug

I am a 20 year old single male. I started masturbating at the age of 12 and have been doing so since. However, over the years, I've noticed that my masturbating habits seem to change.

Sometimes I have a phase where I am constantly horny and masturbate between 2-3 times a day and have the urge to watch porn (I first watched porn when i was about 16). Then there are other times where I go without masturbating for days on end simply as I have no desire whatsoever to masturbate or watch porn and I don't feel horny at all.  

Is it normal for men of my age to have phases in their masturbation habit or is there something wrong with me? Is there such thing as a masturbation cycle?Why is it that sometimes I don't have any horny feelings but other times the only thing on my mind is sexual things?

Thank you for your time.

Answer
I think you might be over-analyzing.  Masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary for male sexual health.  Most men your age practice it about once a day.  That doesn't mean they do it exactly once every 24 hours.  In general, it is better for your prostate gland if your ejaculation is more evenly spaced out.  But if you're not having symptoms of prostate trouble (which usually manifests itself at your age as random pain in your genitals) then I don't see a problem with your binge and break cycle.

Lots of men don't worry about not having desire to masturbate; they look at something stimulating in order to provoke their desire.

The other thing that occurs to me that you didn't specifically mention is sex with partners.  If you're having sex with a partner, it's not at all uncommon to go days without masturbating around those acts of intercourse.

You might find you also eat certain things repeatedly for a period of time and then go a long time without it.  It doesn't mean you have anything wrong psychologically.

Male Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.