Management Consulting/Resettling in U.S

Question
Sir,
I am 25 yrs old residing in India. I have recently completed my post graduation in MBA after completing Engg in IT. I worked for 2 months in IT consulting after MBA but then decided to join my dad's business. My famliy had applied for US greencard back in 2001. And in aug. We have received the final interview call. I aspire to work in U.S considering my education and my family might dissolve property in india and buy in US. I am a bit confused about present situation of Jobs available in Dallas Tx related to my profile. I am interested in profiles such as business analysts or consultant. How difficult is to get job in current situation and how much minimum should I expect. Feel free to express on my resettlment. Thanking you.

Answer
Hello Parikshit Sharma,

Thanks for your question, it is very involved and requires some research. So let us take this approach. I'll give you some logic to follow to do the research and you do the research... all on the "net".

First, search job descriptions within the IT realm to find one that most closely fits the work you are looking for.  Remember there are different levels of analysts, for example, Associate Analyst, Analyst, Sr. Analyst.  Be sure you chose the correct prefix as it affects the range of compensation, range being minimum of the salary range to maximum.  For example you can search:

"http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/job-profile/it-jobs/it-industry-job-desc

Next, using the title that fits the work, search for example:

"http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Business-System-Analyst-l-Dallas,-TX.html"

that will probably turn up the average compensation for the job.  The average usually closely represents the mid-point of the pay range.

Lastly, search for the availability of jobs, openings, for that job title... try searches like:

"http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=$60,000&l=Dallas,+TX&rbt=Business+Analyst&jtid=7d8d, or, "http://www.indeed.com/jobs" and narrow your search from there.

Finally some interview advice. Technical abilities are usually easy for a company to discover from resumes, interviews, etc.  Many companies also used behavioral based interviews, looking for a behavior profile that fits the company culture. So you should read about behavioral interview questions.  And remember, if you say in an interview you are a person of Integrity the next question will be "can you give me an example of that". You can find behavioral interview questions on sites like...

"http://blog.timesunion.com/careers/50-behavioral-based-interview-questions-you-m

Behavioral Competencies:  http://www.hr.msu.edu/performance/supportstaff/competencies.htm

I hope the above is of assistance to you Parikshit Sharma!  This will be an adventure for sure.  Moving to and working overseas is always and adventure!

Best of luck with your adventure!

Mark  

Management Consulting

Mark Eichinger