Management Consulting/EEO

Question
Hello, I have been struggling with a hostile work environment for the last five or six months, which is also the length of time I've been employed with the company. I am the only female employee underneath my supervisor, and my working conditions are starting to get out of hand. I've tried multiple times to get us on the same page, and even made a comment to his supervisor about his behavior, and nothing is being done.  I've become desperate and start looking for jobs, using personal days and sick days to do so. I have yet to find anything that will compensate me in the way that I need for my current financial situation. I have been encouraged to file an EEO complaint from my friends and family. The job is starting effect both my physical and mental health,  and I am wondering the following
1)  do I need to remain employed with my current employer for the duration of the EEO complaint? I feel desperate to leave and know that the complaint will not be taking gracefully. I'm nervous to still be employed while the complaint is being handled.
2) what are the chances that my complaint would result in compensation? I have now had six interviews and not one has offered me a wage that I could live on... I live in Maine and am only looking for $15/hr! It's really the lowest I can go. Could I be compensated while looking for a new job? Could I receive compensation for the personal days I spent job searching? Could I be compensated while looking for a new job? Could I receive compensation for the personal days I spent job searching? Obviously, I don't want to put myself in the situation  or I leave my job and can't afford to take care of myself anymore.

Little more information, I do have detailed records of the misconduct and witnesses of the harassment and hostile work environment. I work for a local government, and very few women are employed here.

Answer
Hello Lerin,

Thanks for your question.  Here is my opinion.

You should file a complaint with the EEOC.  When you do so you should have a complete write up of your experience at work.  It will help you file the complaint. If you “Google” “How to file an EEOC complaint you will find great advice and examples and forms on how to do so and how to prepare yourself to file.  I found sufficient information on the “Net” to assist with that.

It is against the law for your employer and its management to further harass you for filing a complaint.  If that happens you can file a second complaint.  You can continue to work with your present employer even after filing the complaint.

You did the correct thing by registering you experience with your supervisor as well as the next level up of management (your supervisor’s supervisor). And it is good you have dates, times, events to document what happened. That stuff is very valuable to the EEOC in pursuing your complaint.

Regarding compensation.  When you file a complaint, you can enumerate the costs to you, monetarily, physically, mentally.  And possibly, if your family has seen the impact on you due to the discrimination and harassment at work, you should have them document that and include it with the docs you take to the EEOC.  You can ask for compensation in your complaint; some folks hire law firms to represent that… you can find one that does not charge a fee unless the lawsuit is successful.  The attorneys are pros in enumerating costs and requesting monetary settlements.

That is my advice Lerin, I wish you good luck and success going forward.

Mark

Management Consulting

Mark Eichinger