Managing a Business/Non Executive and Independent Directors.

Dear Brad

Can both Non Executive and Independent Directors play an active
role during mergers and acquisitions ?.

Example :

Company A (Parent, Acquirer, Merger-er) , Company B (Secondary, Acquired, Merged).

Case 1 :

Company A and Company B both have Non Executive and Independent Directors.

Case 2 :

Company A has Non Executive and Independent Directors,
Company B do not have Non Executive and Independent Directors.

Case 3 :

Company A do not have Non Executive and Independent Directors, Company B have Non Executive and Independent Directors.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

From the point of view of "Can they..." as you asked the question, of course the answer is yes.  

I presume that you mean your question to about the activity POST merger (ie the integration etc).  In this case, i can't see the acquiring firm using the non-exec/independent directors of the acquired firm in any meaningful roles.

Until that point, they are vital to protect shareholder interests and in fact should probably lead the charge, but once the decision is approved i expect their involvement would be minimal.  

Managing a Business

Brad Poulos

I can answer any kind of general management question for a small or medium sized business. I have knowledge in legal, financial, operations, and business development/marketing issues in businesses ranging from 5 to 500 employees.

I have 15 years in progressively more senior positions at Telesat Canada. For the past 15 years I have been building small businesses and selling them. I sold my company in 2005 and became CEO of the parent company, which was publicly traded. I have been consulting and teaching college for the past five years, so i have been able to see many different clients' issues, and how to solve them.

Wireless Telecom Canadian Business

Associate Engineer - DeVry 1983 Master of Business Administration - Ivey Business School (University of Western Ontario) 1996

Telesat Canada The Busholme Inn The Cataract Inn Gallery Metalworks Enable Training and Consulting