Managing a Business/Errand Service

I am unemployed and I would like to start an errand service for the elderly and disabled people.  I do not have the funds to purchase a portable credit card terminal so, for now I would have to accept cash. I would like to collect the fee for my service and the amount owed for services/products that they needed(groceries, dry cleaning, etc.)when I return. However, I don't know many people who have that much cash in their home, especially the elderly. My question is, do you have any ideas of how I can receive what is owed to me in a way that I don't get cheated?

Thank You,

If you are going to be going out and getting things for them such as dry cleaning, etc.  you should collect the $ for that BEFORE you go out and do the service.  

They would then have an incentive to pay you as they would lose the $ they gave you for groceries or potentially actually lose their clothing (in the case of dry cleaning).  

You could set up your payment that any out of pocket is paid up front, before service rendered, and your actual services are paid when you deliver.

You could also accept cheques, but this is not without risk.

Managing a Business

Brad Poulos

I can answer any kind of general management question for a small or medium sized business. I have knowledge in legal, financial, operations, and business development/marketing issues in businesses ranging from 5 to 500 employees.

I have 15 years in progressively more senior positions at Telesat Canada. For the past 15 years I have been building small businesses and selling them. I sold my company in 2005 and became CEO of the parent company, which was publicly traded. I have been consulting and teaching college for the past five years, so i have been able to see many different clients' issues, and how to solve them.

Wireless Telecom Canadian Business

Associate Engineer - DeVry 1983 Master of Business Administration - Ivey Business School (University of Western Ontario) 1996

Telesat Canada The Busholme Inn The Cataract Inn Gallery Metalworks Enable Training and Consulting