Managing a Business/Electric bicycle manufacturing business.

Question
Dear Ken

Do you feel that the Electric bicycle manufacturing could be a good Business startup?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

Nice to hear from you.

As you know, electric bicycles have been popular in India for quite some time now, as such there are a number of manufacturers competing for business. So you've got a big market, but lots of competition. The two things to consider are: how will you get a piece of the market and how much will it cost you to do it.

To get market share you'll have to have a product differentiator, or compete solely on price--or both. if you've got engineering talent and can come up with unique ideas to make a better/different product you will have an advantage. You will also have to have a low cost way to manufacture the bikes. The established companies have scale and volume to lower manufacturing costs.

Manufacturing is a cost intensive business. You must invest in inventory and labor, which can drain cash very fast. Whatever money you think will be required will not be enough. There are always unanticipated and hidden costs that can increase your investment and delay profits.

Before you do anything, I would write a business plan. There are lot's of good software packages available for business plans (just look online). Going through the planning exercise will tell you what you will need to start and grow the business for the first five years.

I hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Ken  

Managing a Business

Ken Tasch