Managing a Business/Metal detector product manufacturing.

Question
Dear Ken

Do you feel that the metal detector product manufacturing could be a good Business product line startup?.

The metal detector product are installed in airports, shopping malls, Theatres, Parks etc where Security is of prime importance.

Can you suggest some innovations in the metal detector product?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

Although the metal detector industry is almost a billion US$, it's dominated by two companies: Smiths and OSI, both former customers of mine. They have scale and very low cost manufacturing. There are over 20 other companies competing, but in smaller markets. The product is a commodity and as such, price is the only thing that matters. The market has been growing slowly--less than 2%/year, meaning it is fairly saturated.

The technology is the same throughout the industry, using electromagnetic induction to detect various types of metal. This is a low cost way to achieve the purpose so I don't see a different technology being able to compete on price.

The scanners being deployed at airports do use a different technology but they are much more expensive and will not replace metal detectors in most venues.

Although there is very little barrier to entry, I don't see this a good business to start.

Warm regards,

Ken

Managing a Business

Ken Tasch