Managing a Business/Portable telescope manufacturing business startup.

Dear Ken

Can portable telescope manufacturing be a good Business startup co?.

Hello Prashant,

I don't think so. There are over 50 manufacturers selling worldwide. The products they sell range from inexpensive to very expensive. There would be no way to find a niche and profitably compete. Many of these companies are vertically integrated and manufacture all the components in house, giving them a distinct cost advantage. You would have to purchase many of the components and then assemble them, burdening you with a higher cost structure. That would be offset somewhat by your lower overhead as a startup, but it would be difficult to become profitable in a reasonable time frame.

To be successful in a product to consumer business, you've got to have competitive differentiation, either in features or price, or both. Then you have to have a marketing budget that will get it in front of prospects. If you're competing with recognized brands you've got a bigger uphill climb.

Find something that will make you standout in a crowd!

Warm regards,

Managing a Business

Ken Tasch

My business and management expertise covers: Strategic Planning Business Operations Marketing/Sales/Business Development Manufacturing Engineering

I've started multiple businesses and managed others businesses, as president, in my 45 year career. I've worked for large multi-nationals as well as small businesses, both public and private. I've written an eBook on business capture management which can be found on my Web site: I am finalizing a general business book which I plan to publish this year. The book is an encyclopedia of business information.

I'm a top contributor in LinkedIn's Harvard Business Review Group. I co-manage The Cultural Heritage Business & Law World Forum.

The Harvard Business Review is publishing a short piece on innovation in the upcoming September edition.

BSME Mechanical Engineering Non-degree graduate work at the Thunderbird School of Global Management

I formally retired from the corporate world last year. I've since started a consulting and executive coaching business called LAUNCH™ Business Consulting. Information on all my current clients is confidential.