Managing a Business/Voluntary retirement scheme.

Question
Dear Ken

Do you consider Merger with another co as a better alternative than introducing VRS scheme by the private sector cos?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

Nice to hear from you.

As you know better than I, labor laws in India have created special treatment for employees who cannot be made redundant to reduce payroll cost. VRS's follow specific rules in India and I don't pretend to know the overall ramifications to employees and the companies for which they work.

Having said that, mergers more often than not create redundancies, as there are typically duplication of functions. Also, as I understand it employees may be able to opt for VRS as opposed to going to work for the merged company if the wages and benefits are lower in the new company. So I'm not sure that a merger creates an alternative to reducing payroll cost. Again, I don't know enough about the applicable laws in India.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with this answer, Prashant.

Warm regards,

Ken

Managing a Business

Ken Tasch