Managing a Business/Bank Employees Transfer.

Question
Dear David

In India the Bank Employees are transferred from one branch to another branch. They get promotions in their Grade by accepting the transfer.

Is this Bank Business rule mandatory in all countries?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
I don't think it is mandatory but it is certainly common practice in Australia. It also makes good sense.

If you are a bright young bank employee with management potential, are they going to put you in charge of a big branch in the city?  No.  That is too big a step for you.  They will make you the manager or other senior officer in a branch in a small town first. That will be less stressful for you as you are learning the ropes of management.  After you prove yourself in the small branch then you can get bigger appointments.

Also, with teachers in Australia, country postings are unpopular and so everyone has to take a turn sometime during their career.  This could be the same in banks.

I'm still waiting for you to write to me and tell me about yourself, Prashant - why you ask so many questions.

Managing a Business

David Stephensen