Managing a Business/Starting a new role as a BA in the education industry

I am starting a new BA role in the education industry, which I don't have experience in. Is there any tips on how I can prepare before I start or what things I should do in my first week? This is my first BA role so I want to make a good impression and I don't want to come across on a Junior level.

thank you

Hi Viviene,

The BA role in the education industry is quite niche practice. So the expectations might also not be clear for both the employee and the employer. The main role of a business analyst is to act as a liaison between different stakeholders and help in the completion of the project. The business analyst is someone who understands the requirement in both technical and business language and try to transcript for either of the groups.
Few things to remember in the first week:

1. Understand the key stakeholders
2. Find out the decision makers
3. Find the key contacts in each group
4. Read about the latest updates in the education industry and talk in the business language
5. List down the tools being used by BAs and become hands-on with them
6. Listen to the stakeholders in first week more than sharing your knowledge. People want the new joiners to listen to them more.
7. Try to find the pain areas. Speak to individuals in different groups and copy the expectations
8. Business analyst works in easing down the complex requirements and hence the expectations would be similar
9. Read the latest articles on business analysis and education industry
10. Prepare the documents of everything you hear from the stakeholders. It will help you in planning further.

Good Luck Vivienne for your new endeavors. Reach out to me in case you have more queries.

Managing a Business

Aniket S Sharma

I can answer questions related to business analysis, requirements gathering and management, requirements assessment, solution validation and assessment, Risk analysis, Gap Analysis, SWOT analysis, knowledge areas of business analyst, Use Case estimation, Functional and Non-functional requirements, business case and plan, business communication, presentation skills, conflict management, ITIL processes, Service Operation, Service Transition, Change Management, Problem Management, Incident management and many more.

6 years in IT business analysis

Tieto Software Technologies Ltd.

Publications Amazon, Smashwords, Lulu,, Payhip : A Quick Reference to Business Analysis

B.Tech. (Electronics and Communication Engineering), ITIL certified, Program and Project Management from IIT Kanpur-India, IIBA Endorsed Business Analysis Training.