Manilow, Barry/Barry singing in 1966?

ashley wrote at 2008-02-26 02:36:58
Hi Laurie,

I`d just like to say thank you for your reply.

Would you know why it says on you tube on the first link : `This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim made by Stiletto Entertainment.` I`ve written to Tom about this and he is insistent there is no Stiletto connection, or copyright claim.

Thanks again

Christine wrote at 2012-04-19 02:04:24
Hi Laurie,

I have researched this extensively and I am certain it is Barry Maniow singing this jingle.  I can hear his Brooklyn accent especially in the second part.  The timing of this commercial is also in the time period when Barry was working at CBS and doing jingle work on the side.  Hee is what Wikipedia says:

From Wikipedia:  

Polaroid Swinger The Polaroid Model 20 "Swinger" was a popular Land Camera produced by the Polaroid Corporation between 1965 and 1970. At $19.95 USD it was the first truly inexpensive instant camera, a fact that helped fuel its enormous popularity and made it one of the top-selling cameras of all time. The Swinger was especially successful in the youth market due to its low price, stylish appearance, and catchy "Meet the Swinger" jingle sung by Barry Manilow in a television advertisement featuring a young Ali MacGraw.[1]

Listen very carefully again, I think if you compare it to hos early work in the band Featherhead you will hear the similarity.

Hope this was helpful !

Christine wrote at 2012-04-19 02:32:25
This might be helpful also.  It is from an article about Polaroid cameras.

The first Polaroid instant film was launched in New York in 1947 and, two years later, the great American landscape photographer Ansel Adams was hired as a creative consultant. In 1963, the company launched the first Polaroid colour film, and, in 1965, the famous Swinger camera complete with flashgun and the now famous Polaroid 20-Series film, which was the first to develop when taken outside of the camera. A TV ad campaign featuring fledgling actress Ali MacGraw and an extended jingle, "Meet the Swinger", sung by a young Barry Manilow, helped make the Swinger the iPhone of its day, a must-have technological accessory for any young American hipster. It retailed at $19.95 and still remains one of the top-selling cameras ever.

Lauren wrote at 2013-07-18 21:49:35
I don't hear Barry Manilow's voice.

I'm wondering if it could be Ron Dante?

I think Ron was doing commercials back in the mid-60's.

Then he and Barry Manilow hooked up in the early 70's and did some commercial work and then unleashed a flurry of pop hits.  

Manilow, Barry

Laurie Wheeler

I will do my very best to answer any and all questions about Barry Manilow and his phenomenal career in a timely, informative and professional-like manner.

I have been a Barry Manilow fan ever since "Mandy", and I have an extensive collection of his recordings, videos and DVDs from his first album to the present date. I have also had the pleasure of meeting Barry, and I respect and admire him tremendously.

I have been a member of the Barry Manilow International Fan Club for 38 years, and I have been a lifetime member since 1991.
You can find me on My Manilow Network at
Please check out my Barry Manilow web page at
Please feel free to contact me on Facebook at I am also the Administrator of the Manilow Magic BMFC (Barry Manilow Fan Club) on Facebook and the Fans of Barry Manilow Band/Musician page on Facebook.

I am a graduate of Grand Blanc High School, and I have an Associate's Degree in the Medical Secretarial field from Baker College of Flint, Michigan.