Manilow, Barry/Bette Midler at Carnegie Hall

Question
Hello John,

I read in Barry's book, Sweet Life, that he paid the sound man at Carnegie Hall to record Bette's June 23, 1972  concert. Barry did release his performance of Sweet Life from this venue in his 1992 box set. Has anyone, other then Barry, Bette and Atlantic Records ever heard this recording? Will it ever be released?

Many thanks,

Tom

Answer
Hi Tom,

As far as I know, that audio recording has never been released. I think the major problem, like Barry said in the book, was that it obtained against house policy. The other problem is that the recording itself may not be so great -- Barry said in the book that the sound man used the over-the-stage drop mikes to record the concert.

So far, the only part of the Barry/Bette saga to get released is the Continental Baths concert on June 2, 1973. You can catch pieces of it on YouTube, and the whole concert on the Manilow Archives on Facebook.

If I hear anything else, I'll let you know. Thanks for writing in!   --JB

Manilow, Barry

John W Baldwin