Manilow, Barry/Barry Manilow and Dvorak

Hi, John! I contacted you on May 29th with a question about the 'prelude' to Barry's "Box Set', CD #3,Track #11 'A Little Traveling Music, Please'  I wanted to know the name of the song on the intro. You said you'd have to look further as you didn't have this blue Box Set and the only intro for this song you knew of (by Barry) was the 9th Symphony, Dvorak. I didn't connect with this right away but after doing some research of my own, found the 9th Symphony is synonymous with Dvorak's New World Symphony. I dug a little deeper and found that Dvorak was in the Southern US before composing that symphony and was taken with the African=Amerian spiritual type music there & that this was reflected in his work. And so,long story short, the 2nd movement of the New World Symphony is the music I was hearing and it became very popular; so popular, in fact,that a student of Dvorak's wrote lyrics for the melody and the song is "Going Home" (you can find it on You Tube by both single artists and choirs) It's even listed as a 'hymn' in some places as it's a funeral favorite for many. Thanks for the 'clue". Didn't want you to do research you didn't have to do.

I knew that the 9th Symphony melody was on the CD from "Barry Manilow" (aka the Purple Album). When you said you thought the box set version was different, I wanted to check it out. But, good to know.

I'm a choir director at a UU church here in Texas, and we sing "Going Home" just about any time there's a funeral service. It works very well as a spiritual piece.

I will still check on the box set and let you know if there's a difference, thanks for all the information!  --JB

Manilow, Barry

John W Baldwin

I can answer almost any question about Barry`s music and videos: Content, lyrics, instruments, arrangements. You know -- the important stuff! ***PLEASE NOTE: I don't work for Barry or his organizations. I don't know him personally. I'm like that guy on PBS that talks about Mozart, the knowledge is based on 35 years of study, not from any insider information. *** --JB

40 years of collecting his music and being a fan. I also own an extensive collection of recordings, interviews, books, magazines and rarities for Barry Manilow.

Professional Actor, Singer, Stage Manager and Announcer. Music enthusiast, performer and composer of my own material. Theater Major, Temple University.