Manilow, Barry/Barry Manilow's Mandy song

Question
I am doing a paper on the Barry Manilow song "Mandy"  and the origin of the song.  Who is the song written about?  I have heard it was about a dog.  Do you know any information about this topic?

Answer
Hello, Amanda!

Thank you for your question, and for choosing the All Experts service.  I am very pleased that I can help you out with your "Mandy" paper/project.  First of all, the original title of "Mandy" was "Brandy," and it was written by Scott English and Richard Kerri.  As for if "Brandy" was written about a dog this is what Scott English says about that in the booklet that is included with Barry Manilow's "The Complete Collection...And Then Some" Box Set. "People often ask me if "Brandy" was written about a dog. It was not, but I know how that story began. During the year I had my eight minutes of fame with my own rendition of "Brandy," I was awakened at 7:00 A.M. by a reporter. He wanted to know who "Brandy" was. I would have said anything to get rid of him, so I spat out the first thing that came to mind. "It was about a dog like Lassie and I had sent her away. Now you go away!" I said and hung up on him. I guess I'll have to live with that story."  So now you know "Brandy" was not written about a dog at all. Furthermore, this is what Richard Kerr had to say about "Mandy" in the "The Complete Collection...And Then Some" Booklet.  "I arrived in America for the first time in 1974 and heard "Mandy" being played through the walls of my publisher's office in Los Angeles.  It stopped me in my tracks because it sounded so beautiful to me and because I didn't know who Barry was."  For Your Information:  You can hear the Scott English version of "Brandy" on Disc 1 (Track 6) of "The Complete Collection...And Then Some" Box Set followed by an unreleased version of "Mandy" in which Barry sings "Brandy" instead of "Mandy" at the beginning of the song.  Also, the name of the song was changed from "Brandy" to "Mandy" because a pop group called Looking Glass had a big hit with a song called "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" about six months before "Mandy" was released.  I hope this information is helpful.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Manilove,

Laurie :)  

Manilow, Barry

Laurie Wheeler