Manilow, Barry/Continental Baths appearances

Question
I know barry Manilow appeared at the Continental Baths as Bette Midler's accompanist, but did he do a solo engagement at the Baths?

Answer
Hello again, Kevin!

I just wanted to add some information to my previous response to your question regarding Barry's appearances at the Continental Baths.  It has come to my attention that there is a recent article in a gay publication that clearly states "believe or not Barry accompanied Bette wearing only a towel."  I have no idea why these rumors keep going around after so many years.  However, I can tell you that there is at least one photo of Barry and Bette (taken at the Continental Baths) which is included in the booklet that comes with the Barry Manilow Box Set called "The Complete Collection...and Then Some".  In addition, there is a video clip on the video/DVD that comes with "The Complete Collection...and Then Some" (videotaped in 1971) which shows Bette and Barry singing "Chapel of Love" and they are both definitely fully clothed.  By the way, "The Complete Collection...and Then Some" will be re-released on the Arista Legacy label later this month complete with a DVD of rare performances (including the one of Bette and Barry).  This just goes to show you the misinformation about Barry there is out there.  I hope this additional information is helpful.  

Manilove,

Laurie :)

------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, Kevin!

Thank you for your question, and for contacting me through All Experts.  Now to answer your question regarding Barry's appearance at the Continental Baths?  To my knowledge, Barry's one and only appearance at the Continental Baths was as Bette Midler's accompanist/musical director.  Therefore, if you have heard Barry later appeared there as a solo act, that information is not correct.  I hope this information is helpful.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Manilove,

Laurie :)  

Manilow, Barry

Laurie Wheeler