Manufacturing/AS9102 Applicable?

If an item will have 100% inspection of all attributes for every part produced during production, e.g. a machined ring, why would AS9102 be applicable?

Offhand, Jerry, I can think of a couple of reasons: (1) it's required by contract with your customer, or (2) your company requires it as part of its overall quality system (such as AS9100).

If "during production" means each feature is inspected as soon as it's generated, then you're probably OK. However, as I'm sure you know, there’s good reason to do a first article even if you don’t follow the AS9102 format. If it’s a true first article—that is, the first piece manufactured—then you’ve got a chance to catch any kind of boo-boo that may have slipped into the planning or manufacturing process. Otherwise, you may be 100% inspecting 100% discrepant hardware.

Joe Martin

I can answer questions about Quality Systems (AS9100, AS9103, Boeing D6-82479, etc.) Particular areas of expertise are Statistical Process Control (SPC), sampling inspection, design for Six Sigma, and Six Sigma tools in general.

Quality engineer in aerospace for 20+ years. ASQ Certified Quality Engineer (#8920) since 1982.

American Society for Quality

MA Education