Maritime/Shipping/shipping and airline industry

Question
What are the challenges faced by the airline and shipping industry?

Answer
Sandile,
I can't speak for the airline industry, but one of the biggest challenges for the ocean freight carriers will be capacity and keeps rates as sustainable levels.
With the implementation of Ultra large vessel (15000 TEU Edith Maersk) which is about 3 times the carrying volume of a traditional Panamex class vessel, vessel operators run the risk of making sure that each voyage is filled to capacity.
Even though the vessel can accommodate a larger capacity, the time at each port takes longer (3 days vs. 1 day) to work. The stevedores at many ports have a capacity per day which is allowed to be worked.
Also the industry has been going through a transition of charging for usual traditional services by adding fees. Document corrections fee, release charges, and chassis fees are only a few of what has now become the normal.
I hope this information is helpful.
Thanks, Scott

Maritime/Shipping

Scott Jacks