Maritime/Shipping/Is it worth it to use a broker?

Question
Mr. Jacks

I am the owner of a small food processing business and i am located in Montreal (Canada)

I use a tropical vegetable for one of my products. In order to have much better price i do not want to rely on the local distributors , i prefer to order directly from shippers/packers in Florida.
I am not familiar with importation processes and i do not want to add huge costs to the transaction. I am not ordering huge quantities just 2 pallets (120 boxes of 40 pounds per month) (less than 4000$). Should i use the service of a broker for this or should i learn and do everything myself (if yes , how do i learn the process?)?
My objective is to lower as much as possible the cost of my raw materials, is it worth it to use the service of a broker for such small quantities?

Thank you

Answer
Hello,
Using a broker can be very advantageous. You are paying for their expertise. Especially with a perishable product, you do want delays or issues to arise during transport. A good broker will know exactly what to do if any problems occur.
My suggestion to you is to use a broker to start and after a while and you become familiar with the process, you can try it yourself.
Make sure that you obtain all risk insurance for the cost of the product plus cost of the transportation.
Good luck in your endeavor.
Scott  

Maritime/Shipping

Scott Jacks