Marketing/new product marketing

Question
Apps. Sheet
Apps. Sheet  

USD667,497
USD667,497  
Mr. Lingham:

I am an independent inventor in Utah.  I have developed a new kind of school notepaper that is intended to encourage students to outline and otherwise manage and work with their class notes, leading to more effective study habits and, hopefully, better grades.  This device is protected by US Pat. D667,497.  Attached are files showing the notepaper leaf, applications sheet, and the patent publication.

This product will compete with conventional school notepaper in either loose-leaf or spiral notebook format; however, conventional notepaper does not offer the unique features of my product.  I believe that students from middle school through college level and beyond can benefit from this product.  The potential market is substantial.

At present, I am in the process of test marketing this product online in loose-leaf format.  You can find my adds at ecrater.com and atoncer.com.  My price point is $5.50 for 100 sheets and $6.50 for 140 sheets.  

I do not have a background in marketing or business and I am wondering how to best promote and commercialize this product.  I'm concerned that web-based marketing is not the optimum venue for this item and I may be spinning my wheels trying to sell it online.  

I would appreciate your ideas on promoting this product to high school and college students.  What are the chances that a major retailer would agree to stock this item, since it has no track record?  Do you think this is a niche product that would appeal to only a certain demographic of students?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Answer
DAVID,
THIS  IS   A  VERY  USEFUL  PRODUCT  FOR  SCHOOL  STUDENTS  AS WELL  AS  UNIVERSITY   STUDENTS.
THIS  HAS  A  WIDE  USAGE.  HENCE  YOU  SHOULD  START  THIS  AS  A   STATIONARY  ITEM.

PREFERABLY,  THIS  COULD  BE   BOUND  IN  A  NOTEBOOK  FORMAT  [ 50 –100—150---200]  PAGES.
THE  DISTRIBUTION  CHANNEL
-DISTRIBUTORS,  WHO  WILL SELL  TO  THE  RETAILERS.
-WHOLESALERS, WHO  WILL  SELL TO  MAJOR  ACCOUNTS  LIKE   ‘’WALMART’’ ETC.
SO  DISCUSS  WITH  THE  MAJOR  RESELLERS.
WHICH  MEANS  YOU  MUST  RETHINK  ABOUT  YOUR  PRODUCTION    CAPACITY.

ALSO  MAKE  SOME  GOOD   DIRECT  MAILINGS   FOR  SCHOOLS  AND  COLLEGES,   WHERE   IT  CAN  BE  POSTED  ON  THE  INFORMATION  BOARD.
SEEK   THE  HELP  OF   THE  STUDENTS’  UNIONS.

REGARDS
LEO  LINGHAM

Marketing

Leo Lingham