Marketing/Blog vs Website?

Hello there. Just recently, I got into affiliate marketing (I am still learning in fact), and I am in the process of setting up a blog or website through Basically the site will feature my interests, hobbies, collections, etc, and the blog or website will be about fashion, jewelry, history, style, hair, beauty, royalty, health, current events, celebrity gossip...that's the gist of it. My sister will participate in this venture as well.

At first, I wanted to create a standard website, but then a few people recommended that I begin with a blog. I am very confused, and before I begin, I have a couple of questions.

1. Is a blog or website better for what I am planning to do?
2. If I choose a blog, I would really prefer it to look as much like a standard website as possible, so would you prefer Blogger or Wordpress?
3. Is a good choice?
4. I want to place unlimited ads on my site, and need a good amount of space. Are and Wordpress good choices for this?

Ques tion:   Hello there. Just recently, I got into affiliate marketing (I am still learning in fact), and I am in the process of setting up a blog or website through Basically the site will feature my interests, hobbies, collections, etc, and the blog or website will be about fashion, jewelry, history, style, hair, beauty, royalty, health, current events, celebrity gossip...that's the gist of it. My sister will participate in this venture as well.

These  are   the  differences

Benefits Of Having A Website

Some of the goals that can be achieved by launching a website include the following:

1. Far Cheaper and Much More Flexible Than Print Advertising
The Internet is extremely different from print advertising in that space is cheap, your advertisement is accessible for a longer period of time, the content can be changed without having to ask someone to do it for you (if you use a content management system) and you can potentially reach a wider audience.
This is not to say that you should not use other forms of advertising at all   You can use it to entice people to visit your website and find out about your company and potentially open two-way communication between the potential customer and a sales person.

2. Market Expansion
The Internet has allowed businesses to break through the geographical barriers and become accessible, virtually, from any country in the world by a potential customer that has Internet access.

3. Diversify Revenue Streams
A website is not just a medium for representation of your company, it is a form of media from which everybody can acquire information. You can use this media to sell advertising space to other businesses.
A recent trend has risen where businesses feature their very own directory of complimentary services, where the visitor can search for information on a business that will enhance the use of your service. The business sells complimentary businesses a listing in their directory.  
A good example is a catering company featuring a directory with businesses such as event co-coordinators, electronic equipment rental companies, etc.

4. 24 7 365
No more turning customers away when its time to close shop, putting up a note saying  closed for public holiday , or leaving an irritating message on your answering service specifying your trading hours   tell them to visit your website for information they are looking for.

5. Offer Convenience
It is far more convenient for a person to research a product on the Internet than it is to get in a car, drive somewhere and look for or ask someone for information on a product. Also, a potential customer won t have to judge a call centre agent to determine whether he/she has their best interests in mind, or just wants to make a sale.
The potential customer can visit your website whenever they like in their own privacy and comfort, without the stresses and distractions that exist in the  real world .
Your website is a self-service medium   for example, instead of having to wait in a long cue to pay your TV License, you can now do it electronically through the TV License website.

6. Add Value and Satisfaction
By offering convenience, a point of reference and that touch of individualized customer service, you ultimately add value to your offering and your customers experience a higher level of satisfaction.
Your website can add value in other ways too, by featuring tips, advice and general interest content you can  entertain  your customers. This will also help them remember you better.

7. Standardize Sales Performance
By looking at which approached / pitches have worked in the past and those which have not, you can produce the ultimate pitch and use it with your website, so that you use it on every customer. No more training of sales people and waiting for them to get a feel for your line of trade.

8. Improve credibility
A website gives you the opportunity to tell potential customers what you are about and why you deserve their trust and confidence. In fact, many people use the internet for pre-purchase research so that they can determine for themselves whether a particular supplier or brand is worthy of their patronage, and won t take them for a ride.
The Internet also allows for Viral Marketing   where your website visitors spread positive word-of-mouth about your business - your customers do your marketing!

9. Promote your  Brick  n  Mortar  Presence
Getting lost trying to find a place can be frustrating for a potential customer. You can publish what they call a  dummy map  on your website, which shows directions and landmarks graphically, and the potential customer can print it out when looking for your  Brick  n  Mortar  premises.
You might advertise a promotion on your website encouraging the visitor to visit your  Brick  n  Mortar  premises (e.g..  At a branch near you! ).
Also, if you recently moved to a new location, you will have to wait for the next 'phone directory to come out before people figure out where you currently are. Because a website is flexible   you can change the content as you like   you can change you contact details instantly and lower the risk of losing customers when moving to a new location.

10. Growth Opportunity
A website serves as a great place to refer potential investors to, to show them what your company is about, what it has achieved and what it can achieve in future.

11. Two-Way Communicative Marketing
Customers can quickly and easily give feedback on your product and/or marketing approach.

12. Cheap Market Research
You can use features on your website such as visitor polls, online surveys and your website statistics to find out what your customers like more and how they feel about certain aspects of your business to determine how you can improve your product and the way you do business.
Website statistics show you how much traffic your website receives, how the visitor got to your website and where, geographically, the visitor is from.

Professional designers think about the big picture. They create a visual language for your brand that is consistent across different contexts. Your website, logo, business cards, and even your Twitter profile have to form a coherent whole. Brands that have a consistent visual language make a more memorable impression than those that look like five different side-businesses.

You’re not looking for clicks. You’re looking for visitors who browse through your site and get to know who you are. Remember that most people will leave after one glimpse at your site. It takes something special to keep them interested, let alone willing to buy your product or service.

Calls to action are the sign-up, buy now, and learn more parts of your site. Where they are on the web page, how they look, and what they say will determine how many more people decide to buy something from you.

Good-enough websites just don’t cut it anymore. Within one industry, there are many sites that look the same. They say the right stuff, the design isn’t too offensive, but they don’t make the effort to speak up and say why they’re special. That doesn’t mean you have to pull out the sparkly graphics to get attention. Quality means distilling all of your unique selling points into one coherent visual message.

Content and design need to be perfectly aligned on your site. Most people will not put in the effort to understand what you are trying to say. Large blocks of small text, confusing navigation, and obscured calls to action will turn visitors away. Designers work with your content so that it’s clear and directs people to what you want them to do.

The choice of fonts, spacing of text, and contrast are details that make a difference in the overall quality of your site. These kinds of nuances may not seem that important, but they affect how readable and functional the site is.

You are the expert on your own business, but you are not an expert on web design. Sometimes there needs to be a compromise between what you want and what works for the web. Quality web design also comes from the experience of knowing how to translate ideas into web pages.

Businesses that try to get a “good deal” and buy into the promise of getting high-quality design services for a cheap price often end up paying more than they need to. Why? They realize that high quality really does cost money and pay for another designer to re-do their site.

Business owners and web designers have to work together to create a website. The process involves communication and compromise. If you are satisfied with the result, the web designer you worked with will be your go-to for changes and new additions.

Quality design builds a solid foundation for the improvements you will want to make after the initial site is finished. Whether you want to add a new product or service, the site will already have a strong enough aesthetic that you don’t have to go back to square one.

The 20 Biggest Benefits of Blogging

•   The 20 Biggest Benefits of Blogging
•   #1 Get a Better Job
•   #2 Start a New Business
•   #3 Get More Clients to Your Existing Business
•   #4 Become a Better Writer
•   #5 Become a Published Author
•   #6 Get Immediate Feedback
•   #7 Learn More About a Group of People
•   #8 Gain Influence
•   #9 Establish Yourself as an Expert in Your Field
•   #10 Build a Network
•   #11 Learn In-Demand Skills
•   #12 Improve Your SEO
•   #13 Collect Emails
•   #14 Stay Knowledgeable in Your Field
•   #15 Sell a Product
•   #16 Talk to Your Idols
•   #17 Express Yourself
•   #18 Help Others
•   #19 Build Trust Online
•   #20 Take Control of Your Online Identity
•   The Last Word:
The 20 Biggest Benefits of Blogging
#1 Get a Better Job
According to MediaBistro, nine in ten companies mine online profiles before making a new hire. Employers want to hire people who have a strong online influence:
“Determining influence is so critical to brands because this is what drives word of mouth validation – typically the most powerful and cost-effective marketing method available.”
Mark Schaefer, from an interview on
Put simply, employers prefer to hire people with a positive online influence and blogging is the single best way to achieve that.
#2 Start a New Business
Sometimes a blog starts out as a hobby only to become a full-time business.
That’s what happened to Pat Flynn, who created a blog called Green Exam Academy simply to share his thoughts and insights on architecture. When Flynn was laid off from his job, he decided to take his blog a little bit more seriously and about one year later the blog had become a $100,000 per year business.
That type of growth isn’t typical. But Flynn’s story is a great example of how a simple blog can be the foundation for a thriving business if you’re willing to commit to it.
#3 Get More Clients to Your Existing Business
Static websites don’t attract many new clients or customers. But a regularly updated blog can produce a constant stream of good leads from all around the world.
When you publish in-depth blog posts that help potential clients/customers solve their problems, they come to trust you and respect you as an expert in the field. If they want more help than a blog post can offer, then they’re likely to be interested in hiring your business.
I know that this is Neil Patel’s primary revenue model for Quicksprout and I’ve also used it to good effect for my video business.
#4 Become a Better Writer
The only way to become a better writer is to write – pages and pages, day after day.
Of course, that’s exactly what an active blogger spends his or her time doing. The more you blog, the more you write – and the better writer you become.
#5 Become a Published Author
The publishing business isn’t what it used to be and publishers are less likely than ever before to take a chance on an unknown author.
They would much rather give a contract to an author with a built-in audience of readers – and that’s where having a blog comes in. So keeping a blog isn’t just a good way to become a better writer, it may be your fastest path to becoming a published writer.
#6 Get Immediate Feedback
An author has to wait months between finishing his/her book and reading the reviews, but bloggers get to read their readers’ comments the same day they click ‘publish’.
This makes blogging a great way to get feedback on an idea that you want to develop further. Having an outside perspective and a little bit of constructive criticism is invaluable.
#7 Learn More About a Group of People
Bloggers spend most of their time sharing their ideas and insights with their readers. But if you listen, you’ll find that your readers share a lot with you too.
I learn a lot about the readers on Income Diary from your comments, your tweets, and your posts on the forums. That information helps me to know what type of posts to write and I know that it also helps Michael determine what products to develop that will help his readers the most.
Knowing about your audience is invaluable (this is why companies spend so much time and money testing out their products in focus groups). As a blogger, achieving this type of insight is a natural byproduct of your day-to-day routine.
#8 Gain Influence
What’s the best way to change the world? You could become a politican, activist, or volunteer.
Or you could become a blogger. A successful blogger gains a wide audience of people who trust and respect them.
#9 Establish Yourself as an Expert in Your Field
Anybody can start a blog on any subject they like. So you don’t get a lot of respect just for saying, “I have a website about that.”
But over time, as you write more posts and share more of your expertise, you’re website will change from ‘just another blog’ into a powerful demonstration of your knowledge in a field. When somebody visits your site and sees the insights you’ve shared on a subject, along with the community of people who respect and seek that insight, it will be clear that you’re genuinely an expert in the field.
Being an expert is a good thing. You may get consideration for careers, awards, or consulting opportunities.
#10 Build a Network

“The richest people in the world build networks.
Everyone else looks for work.”
- Robert Kiyosaki
Starting a blog is a guaranteed way to expand your network.
First of all, valuable and interesting blog posts attract readers who will then comment on your site and send you personal messages through your contact page. Many of your readers will be asking for help, but others will be looking to help you.
A blog is also a good platform for reaching out to others. Many of the first posts on Income Diary were interviews with experts in the ‘make money online’ community. With every interview, Michael gained a personal relationship with an influential person.
#11 Learn In-Demand Skills
Easy-to-use blogging platforms like WordPress have made it so that a person doesn’t need to have a grasp of computer programming in order to start a blog.
But through the process of blogging, most people learn some HTML and CSS simply because it’s easier to make minor improvements to your site by yourself than it is to hire somebody each time. That’s good news because fluency in web design, HTML, and CSS are highly valued skills in this day and age.
The same can be said for a whole slew of other blog-related skills, such as graphic design, search engine optimization, content marketing, and social media marketing.
#12 Improve Your SEO
Ultimately, search engines want to deliver results that are helpful to their users. When you write a series of in-depth, valuable articles around a topic, Google takes notice.
Each high-quality blog post that you publish is another opportunity to get traffic from search.
#13 Collect Emails
There’s a lot of talk about social media today, but email is still the most reliable way to communicate online. People check their email regularly and they’re used to receiving important updates.
Getting somebody to give you their primary email isn’t easy, but once you have it you have a direct connection with that person. You’ll then be able to get their attention whenever you find something that you think will benefit them or if there’s something important regarding your business or blog that you want to inform them about.
#14 Stay Knowledgeable in Your Field
If you’re looking for an incentive to keep up to date on all of the latest information on a certain subject, starting a blog is a great start. Your weekly quest to put up new content will lead you to always be searching for new information and sharing it with your readers.
#15 Sell a Product
A blog can make for a great virtual store. Michael has made a small fortune selling Pop-Up Domination on Income Diary and other bloggers have found success selling everything from e-books to membership sites.
#16 Talk to Your Idols
I first became an entrepreneur back in 2010 when I helped Nicholas Tart compile a book of interviews with 25 of the world’s top young entrepreneurs.
One of the entrepreneurs we wanted to interview was Joe Penna, AKA Mystery Guitar Man. Like me, he was a musician and producer of creative online videos. Getting to sit down and talk with him was an inspiring experience that I’ll always remember.
If we hadn’t had a blog, I truly doubt we would have had the online credibility for Joe to take the time and sit down and talk with me.
#17 Express Yourself
This one’s pretty simple: a blog is an expressive medium that can contain words, images, and sounds. Whether your blog is formal business affair or a personal “what-I-ate-for-breakfast-this-morning” diary, blogging is powerful form of self-expression.
#18 Help Others
Every good blog helps its readers. Income Diary does this by offering free information about how to make money online. Other blogs help people lose weight, raise their kids, and come to terms with life-threatening disease. Yet others mobilize groups of people to take action and raise money for important causes.
The power of a blog to educate, inspire, and bring like-minded people together makes blogging a great way to help people.
#19 Build Trust Online
Trust is a rare and valuable commodity online. You can’t buy trust. It has to be earned by demonstrating your commitment to your readers, time and time again.
As it turns out, that’s exactly what good bloggers do by regularly posting valuable, honest articles on their blogs. The more people whose trust you’ve earned, the easier it will be to accomplish your goals online.
#20 Take Control of Your Online Identity
Whether you’re a person or business, there’s probably lots of information about you online. When somebody searches for you online, you want to make sure that they get an accurate and complete picture of who you are and what you’re all about.
Starting a blog that covers all the bases is a great way to control your online identity and make sure that the top result on Google makes a the right first impression.

Blogger has the following limitations on content storage and bandwidth, per user account:
Blog description = 500 characters. HTML mark up not supported.
•   Number of blogs = 100 blogs per account.
•   Number of labels = 5000 unique labels per blog (increased from the original 2000), 20 unique labels per post
•   Number of pictures (hyperlinked from user's Google+ Web Album) = 15 GB of free storage (Shared between Google Drive, Google+ and Gmail). However, if you have signed up for google plus account, images less than 2048 x 2048 pixels would not be counted to this storage limit. For users not signed up for google plus, 800 x 800 pixels and below images would not be included in this storage space.
•    Number of posts =There is no limit on the number of posts one can have in one blog.
•   Size of pages = Individual pages (the main page of a blog or archive pages) are limited to 1 MB
•   Size of pictures = If posted via Blogger Mobile, limited 300 KB per picture; posted pictures are scaled to 1600px
•   Stand-Alone Pages = Limited to 20 stand-alone pages.
•   Team members (those who can write to a blog) = 100 invitations per blog.
•   Favicon =Any square image less than 100KB.

1. Ease of Use
WordPress is very easy to use and has an intuitive interface.  Adding new pages, blog posts, images, etc. on a regular basis is a breeze and can be done quickly.  Because the technology is so simple, time spent on formatting is greatly reduced.
2. Manage Your Website from Any Computer
WordPress is browser-based. You can login from any Internet connected computer and manage your site.
3. No HTML Editing or FTP Software Required
WordPress is a self-contained system and does not require HTML editing software (such as Adobe Contribute or Dreamweaver). You can create a new page or blog post, format text, upload images (and edit them), upload documents, video files, image galleries, etc. all without the need for additional HTML or FTP software.
4. Search Engines Love WordPress Sites
The code behind WordPress is very clean and simple, making it easy for search engines to read and index a site’s content. In addition, each page, post, and image can have its own meta tag keywords, description, and title, and be optimized for specific keywords, allowing for very precise search engine optimization.  You can also use tags to further enhance your search engine optimization efforts.
5. You Have Control of Your Site
No more waiting for your web designer to make simple updates to your site. With WordPress, you have control of nearly every aspect of your site and can easily make those simple updates yourself.
6. The Design of Your Website is 100% Customizable
WordPress acts as the engine for your website. The look and feel of the site can be 100% customized so your brand can shine through on your site and provide a unique experience to your visitors.
7. A Blog is Built-in and Ready to Go
Since WordPress was originally created as a blogging platform, blogging capabilities are built-in and are easy to integrate, if desired. Setting up RSS / email subscriptions to your blog, commenting capabilities, and automatically adding the most recent blog posts to other pages of the site (your home page, for example) are also very simple to set-up, and help to extend your company’s reach and make your site more dynamic and interactive.
8. Extend the Functionality of Your Site with Plugins
Want to add an event calendar, video gallery, Twitter Feed, Facebook Fan Box, and more to your site? WordPress makes this possible with plugins, most of which are free or very reasonably priced.
9. Your Site Can Grow as Your Business Grows
WordPress sites are very scalable. You can have hundreds of thousands of pages or blog posts on your site and the performance of the site will not be compromised in the least.
10. Have Multiple Users
As an administrator of a WordPress site, you can set-up multiple users for the website and assign access levels and capabilities to each user.

3. Is a good choice?

Leo Lingham

I can answer questions on marketing, marketing planning, product management, advertising, sales promotions, sales planning, merchandising, direct marketing, and sales management.