What is the target market for a Bar & Grill restaurant business with some computerisation for its customer-facing operations?
What are the very different types of customers they have? thanks.

Apologies if there has been a delay. I am in the United States once again after having been in Melbourne for awhile and this question is just now arriving in my inbox—let's see if I can help you!

I see that you are in Australia and, after having been there for some time, I might have a better grasp on this question than most. For starters, because you are not the typical bar and grill restaurant (you have computerization) you are open to many more options when it comes to your target market.

I'm going to take a different direction, however, and give you some advice that most business owners unfortunately never receive. In lieu of trying to think of the potential dollars in the "now," try to focus on the "later." If you are an owner and want to avoid burning out or losing control, sit down and think of what kind of place would you be proud to own ten years from now. This isn't just "feel good" advice. If you start by gearing your bar and grill toward your idea of the best customer, the dollars WILL follow, EVERY TIME.

Foolishly, many think that they are trying to get a piece of the pie in their industry—a market share, if not THE market share. This is a huge mistake. If you are asking this question in the first place on this site, there is a great chance that you could not handle THE market share right away. First things first, what is the ideal scenario for you and your computerization that can be used to your advantage?

Are you a fan of trivia? Can you feasibly create the most difficult trivia night in the city? Are you heavy into social media? Can you feasibly afford to give away product in exchange for "likes," "posts," "comments," "Tweets" on the fly? Can you have your facebook large and on-screen providing live feeds of your social interactions including photos, games, contests, trivia, etc? Out of a million travelers in and out of your city, do you realize that you only need a solid 50 every night for a month to create: residual visual advertising, perks such as repeat customers, litmus tests with regard to trying new things, etc? By month two, you could easily quadruple that number with minimal effort.

As far as your original question, you can go the boring route and use these answers:

• happy hour groups
• after work drinks
• uni students
• pro/amateur athletes (beach volleyball, tennis, etc)
• trivia enthusiast
• alcoholics
• blah, blah, blah

In reality, without a game-plan that is very specific toward your exact ideal target, all it takes is a few days of punk kids coming in to hang our with no disposable income to scare off would-be customers. On the other end, it could be an elderly crowd that instantly (although innocently) turns away a hip, thirty-something crowd.

Because your are also a restaurant, I personally think a few things need to be considered. If you are going to do something, go "balls deep." Be different and unique without waiting for the approval of your peers. Be sure that any food you serve is served quickly and accurately. It doesn't have to be great, but it has to be quick. Be prepared for people to complain and have bad customer service experiences and crave for this to happen... in all honesty, EVERY chance you have for something to go wrong, you are actually having the perfect opportunity to have a customer for life. Give them their meal free as well as their next meal/drinks, etc. Thank me later for this.

I believe a trivia crowd with a "ladder" system (competition) is a great way to go. It's a smarter crowd with an income and drinks (several rounds) are a given. If you do this well, you will get friends of friends to be there. If you can post things to Facebook and even arrange for people that can't be there in person to be able to "win" product that can be redeemed later based on correct answers (only given after those in person have answered) then that is even better.

Anyone else that happens to show up because you already have a crowd is a residual benefit.

This question sounds like it can either be a homework question, or a potential business-owner query. If you can offer more in-depth information regarding "computerization" I can help further. Until then, please feel free to drop a line at any time.

I'm available as well for in-person consultation and, given the right offer, would consider returning to Australia :)

G Pierce

If it pertains in any capacity to marketing, I can answer your questions. Many of the reasons people seek my counsel is because I actually answer questions while giving direction. Many of you may have questions because you are literally still in the starting blocks. Some of you may have a brand that is forty years-old and are desperately seeking to breathe new life into your efforts and visibility. You will always see enthusiasm in my answers regardless of what level you are at. I've had a great deal of success through my career and have helped countless others along the way. I do this because I get excited about helping others and my passion will always be conveyed in my answers. While they may not always be what you'll want to hear, I'll alway base my answers on fact in lieu of emotion. Many of you might have questions about how and when to market yourself. You may be looking for real-life guerilla marketing approaches. Others may want to reconcile how they want to be viewed with how they are actually viewed. Whether it pertains to public relations, advertising or marketing—all of these are areas that I am comfortable sharing my knowledge.

G Pierce received his start at the headquarters for the world's largest US-Hispanic advertising agency, Bromley Communications. There, he conceptualized and managed the brands of clients such as Proctor & Gamble, Nestlé, Coors, General Mills, Reynolds and numerous others. A few years later, G Pierce would start his own brand strategy company, Sharjah Brand Knew, in order to provide consultation on marketing, advertising, and public relations for clients both in the US and abroad. His clients include opera singers, major league gamers, musicians, artists and anyone else he feels might mesh well with his talents. Recently, he launched a company called Who Knew Cities that is now his primary focus. Who Knew Cities allows 100 locally owned businesses per city to promote themselves on a pristine and powerful website, for $10 per year and has already received numerous awards and the eyes of countless investors.

G Pierce speaks at universities and serves as his own organization, pulling unique speakers along the way to share their knowledge and skill sets.

Graphic Design USA—American Graphic Design Awards Who Knew Cities online (

G Pierce went to St. Andrew's College in North Carolina where he studied international politics and business.

G Pierce has had work published in national magazines, been featured on television weekly and his newest venture, Who Knew Cities has been awarded best local website by the editors of San Antonio Magazine, where the company planted its roots.

Proctor & Gamble, Nestlé, Reynolds, General Mills, Coors, Shannon Curtis, Art Incorporated, Contects Architects, NAdler's Bakery, Eric Violette (Free Credit Report band) and too many to list.