I am looking to branch out and work for myself, as a Marketing Consultant.  I am new to this and as such, I am not quite sure how to charge.  I have a client who performs for large venues/audiences and is looking to have me do some marketing for them.  They want me to utilize the marketing tools that they have on their website, and to forward them, via emails, to market to potential clients.  They also want me to market their services in other ways as well.  They state that they are willing to offer a percentage of each gig that I find them, and that they will pay a percentage every time they perform at that event, or another, etc.  They told me that they charge a flat rate for certain events, such as colleges, and another flat rate for corporate events.  They also told me what the average ticket would sell for, as well, and they said that they would increase for food/drink profit margin down the line.

So, I would like to know what I should ideally be charging for here, and what percentage I should request?

Thank you,

Hi Geminee!
Well I am not totally sure of what the real issue is here If you are a consultant and you just advise them on how and where to market then that should be a fixed fee per hour, experienced consultants get up to $150 per hour. If you act in the form of an agency and purchase various types of media then you should get 20% of the gross sale.
If they want you to sell their products and services then that could be between 35 to 25% commission on each sale. If they want you to be an affiliate and put their products on your website then that could be 10-25% commission. You need to select which option will generate the most revenue with the lease amount of effort.

Kip Gienau

Presently providing Executive Business Coaching to all size businesses in the USA and Internationally for Chet Holmes International and Tony Robbins. I coach on a one on one basis but I also have a intimate group coaching model I use and I am constantly adding select clients that want to take their business to the next level, I am a published author the latest book was #1 on Amazon the first day "Guerrilla Marketing on the Front Lines" by Jay Conrad Levinson, I was one or thirty four contributing authors, the second book was "Guerrilla Networking" My marketing strength includes cable television and radio. I also work with all media such as Print, Magazines, Broadcast TV, Web Design, Marketing, Consulting, develop copy ideas and commercials. My nitch is making these services availiable to small and mid-sized businesses. I am a master networking professional, motivotional speaker, keynote speaker and certified Guerrilla Marketing Coach. I pratice building solid business relationdhips. Creative thinking allows me to see things out of the box

Cable TV sales 6 1/2 years top in sales for 5 years Own and operate my advertising agency 9 1//2 years Started a furnitue business in Costa Rica almost 2 years ago Senior Business coach for Chet Holmes 2 years Too many others to list over my many years working

Chamber of commerce, local business mentoring group I started, Women's network, strathmores who's who

"Guerrilla Networking" "Guerrilla Marketing on the Front Lines"

High School, some collage

Was in Yankee Magazine in 1986 for making colonial one piece pitchforks.

visit my web site information is listed there