QUESTION: Dear Mr. Tim Collins,

I will be attending an interview soon for the post of Marketing & Communications Personnel with an Interior decoration and fit-out company in Oman. They deal with Interior Decoration, Joinery & Furniture manufacturing.
Firstly, I would like to know what kind of questions I can expect on this regard.
Secondly, with all the latest media support and marketing techniques available, what are the various ways in which I can build, market and sustain their brand.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.
Best regards,

ANSWER: Hi Sheela,

I am so sorry it has taken so long to respond. We have been extremely busy this month, and the question came right in the middle of our deadline. This is probably a bit out of my area of expertise. First of all, I am not sure what Joinery is. I guess the other thing I am not sure of is if they are in the manufacturing industry (furniture manufacturer), or a service business (interior decorating). If they are in both, then you would really need two kinds of marketing effort. For either one, you have to figure out first who is their target customer, and design a marketing plan based on what kinds of things those potential customers are looking for. But it's hard for me to be specific without knowing this information.

In terms of the interview, I would definitely expect them to ask why you feel you are a good candidate for the job, what your experience is, and I would also be prepared for them to ask you for some ideas off the top of your head, based on what you know about their business. So, I would attempt to do as much research as possible about the company, and try to come up with at least a couple of ideas based on that.

I wish I could be more specific, but without knowing more about the business, I am not able to be of much help unfortunately.

I am really sorry again for taking so long to respond. Usually I am really fast, but the email came at the worst possible time, and then got buried in my email box.

Good luck with the interview.

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Tim Collins,

Thank you for your reply. I would like to clarify your doubts so that I can get a more specific answer from you. Joinery is carpentry. This company is the complete solution provider for clients when it comes to Interior decoration. They do Interior designing according to clients requirements, then propose furniture for Interior decoration, manufacture the furniture and finally supply and install the furniture.
My main question is how can I market such a company and what media techniques can I use?

Hoping to get a more specific answer from you.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Thanks for the clarification. I have not heard of a company that does all of these things before. If this is unique, then this would be the thing that I would focus on in marketing.

Your company has specific needs and desires when it comes to decorating and furnishing your office. (If you do residential, you would want to replace the word office with "home" and company with "family".

Wouldn't it be nice if you could call someone, tell them what your "dream" decor and furnishings are, and have one person work with you from start to finish to bring your dream to reality?

If this company has been in business for a long time, I would try to get before and after pictures from some of the places you have worked with. I would try to definitely have a good website that shows some of these. Definitely want a good Facebook page, and encourage those who have used your service to share their pictures.

If you work in just Oman, is there a business license office? If so, can you purchase the names of those that are opening a business?

I would also consider mailing a nice brochure to companies that can afford your services.

Can you contact contractors that specialize in commercial construction and work with them to have them promote, or at least mention your business, or at the very least give you the contact information for new businesses.

Hope this helps.

Tim Collins

I am happy to try to help business owners come up with ideas on how to market their business, based on my 25 years experience in advertising and marketing.

I have been in the advertising and publishing field for over 25 years. I have published a newspaper and currently publish two magazines. I have also run a flyer delivery service. I created an independent yellow pages publishing company. I also sold radio advertising early in my career, and have had some experience in direct mail. Our magazines currently have the most Facebook fans of any local business in the areas they serve.

Chapel Hill News & Views Villa Rica News & Views

BA in Economics

Small Business of the Year in Douglas County Georgia

We currently have approximatly 400 businesses that advertise with our publications