Marketing/Negotiating wholesale prices with retailers

Question
Hello Kip

I am a grower of carnivorous plants, although I also have many inventions as well that I want to wholesale. I am in the process of contacting retailers.

Regarding my plants, they are a niche product with a self watering wick system which is a huge advantage over other ones sold. Therefore, they are priced higher for this reason.

After retailers reply wanting more information including prices, should I tell them only my wholesale price or should I state the retail prices I have been selling my plants for with a suggestion that people are happy with the prices? Hopefully then retailers will pay me a high wholesale price. If I only state the wholesale price I may lose interest if they think it is too high unless I say I could negotiate. The aim is to bargain as high a wholesale price as possible, so that is why I thought it may be best not to disclose the wholesale price. However I could include a wholesale price that is higher than what I would expect to get and say that I am prepared to negotiate. For example, I could make my wholesale price 70% of what I have been retailing the plants locally for in the hope that they may buy it for that price and sell the plants for a slightly higher price that I have been retailing them for.

For example, I could state:

"My wholesale cost prices are below. I am prepared to negotiate different prices if necessary.

I have been retailing them for much more than the below prices to people that visit me at my house and they have been happy with the prices considering the plants contain the self watering wick system which is a huge advantage over ones that other people sell as it saves people a lot of time and reduces the risk of the plants drying out and dying.

Sarracenia in 70 mm pot:  $8.50 to $10.50 depending on size and clumps.
Sarracenia in 95 mm pot:  $11.00 to $13.50 depending on size and clumps.
Venus Fly Traps in 50 mm pot: $7.00
Sundews (Drosera) in 70 or 95 mm pots $7.00
Nepenthes 70 mm pot:  $8.50 to $10.50 depending on the size of the plant.
Flower bucket and stand:  $2.00
Flower bucket by itself:  $0.70
"

Alternatively, I could list the retail prices I have been selling them for and state something like the below.

"The prices I listed below are what I have been retailing them for to mostly local people that visit me at my house so I understand that I need to wholesale them for less depending on how much you can get for them in your area. I have been trying to keep my retail cost down as much as possible as many people that have bought them are friends. People have been happy with the prices. I think you should be able to sell them for much more than the below prices because the plants do have an advantage over other ones sold due to the self watering wick system which saves people a lot of time and reduces the risk of the plants drying out and dying.

Sarracenia in 70 mm pot:  $12.00 to $15.00 depending on size and clumps.
Sarracenia in 95 mm pot:  $16.00 to $19.00 depending on size and clumps.
Venus Fly Traps in 50 mm pot: $10.00
Sundews (Drosera) in 70 or 95 mm pots $10.00
Nepenthes 70 mm pot:  $12.00 to $15.00 depending on the size of the plant.
Flower bucket and stand:  $3.00
Flower bucket by itself:  $1.00
"

Which of the above options do you think is best and do you suggest changes to the way the above is worded?

I have information and photos of my plants at http://www.advantagein.com/cp/

I also have many separate non-profit groups, plans, and information to help communities. I would appreciate your feedback and help. There are many new ideas, unique inventions with advantages, and rarely seen information with solutions. Please see http://www.truesolutions.info for a brief summary. Any comments and support on these plans will be appreciated. Are you able to share an email or papers that I could send you regarding this?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Regards Richard.

Answer
Hi Richard!
This really isn't my area of expertise but if you are getting retailers to request your products then in order to increase sales tell them the retail price you charge then show them the wholesale prices generally about 40-50% lower. The key is if they buy volume then they get the lower price but you must set the minimum order size to qualify for the discounted price and I don't mean 25 plants. What you need to do is find out by testing how much longer your plants live with your self watering system verses your competition with traditional methods. That becomes a niche and a focal point as how you can actually save money by reducing the amount of lost plants. As for the not for profit arena I don't do any work in that area.
Kip

Marketing

Kip Gienau