Marketing/Is narrative more important than evidence in marketing?

Question
Hi there

Is it true that many b2b buyers purchase more readily based on good case studies and stories than on hard evidence that the product works?

Many thanks

Max

Answer
Hey, Max.

I don't know whether or not it's true because I haven't seen any peer-reviewed research on it. However, my gut instinct say, "Yes."

I say that because I think people like to hear what other people have to say about their experiences. I think that's why places like Angie's List work so well.

The problem arises, though, because, excepting Angie's List, very few people write good reviews about something unless it's about something extraordinary, well beyond what was expected. Give someone a bad experience, though, and they are all over the Internet and Facebook with their bad experiences.

Russel

Marketing

Russel Ray